Waukee High School Brings Home Multiple Musical Theater Awards
Waukee Community School District earned top awards at the first ever Des Moines Performing Arts Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Ceremony. The event honored young thespians for their outstanding achievements in musical theater on June 3 at the Civic Center.
Waukee Community School District’s theater program’s production of “Guys and Dolls” won Outstanding Musical Production along with several other awards.
Top honors went to Bridget Johnston and Kellen Schrimper who were awarded the Triple Threat Award and will represent Iowa at the National High School Musical Theater Awards in New York City, June 26 – July 2, 2013. The highly competitive Triple Threat Award judges student’s singing, dancing and acting abilities.
As recipients of the Triple Threat Award, Johnston and Schrimper will enjoy individual vocal and acting coaching by Broadway industry professionals, visits from special guests and discussions with working actors, a night out in Times Square for dinner and a Broadway show, and a session with a Broadway casting agency.
2012-2013 IOWA HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL THEATER AWARDS
Waukee High School, Waukee – “GUYS AND DOLLS”
- Outstanding Musical Production
Student Awards for Outstanding Achievement
- Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role – Bridget Johnston as “Adelaide”
- Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role – Trevor Wiley as “Nicely-Nicely Johnson”
- Outstanding Achievement in Costume Coordination – Shauna Erickson
- Outstanding Achievement in Costume Coordination – Ireland Elkin
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Leading Role – Kellen Schrimper as “Sky Masterson”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Supporting Role – Jonathan Buehrer as “Benny Southstreet”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Supporting Role – Davis Patton as “Arvide Abernathy”
- Special Recognition for Student-Designed Marketing Materials – Thi Nguyen
Other schools and the productions that were honored include:
- Ankeny High School, Ankeny – “SPAMALOT”
- Carlisle High School, Carlisle – “SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS”
- Dowling Catholic High School, West Des Moines – “DAMN YANKEES”
- East High School, Des Moines – “LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS”
- Nevada High School, Nevada – “THE MUSIC MAN”
- Pella Christian High School, Pella – “FOOTLOOSE”
- Roosevelt High School, Des Moines – “CHICAGO”
- Urbandale High School, Urbandale – “ONCE UPON A MATTRESS”