RSP & Associates Presents Comprehensive Enrollment Projections
At the February 24 Waukee Board of Education meeting Rob Schwarz with RSP & Associates presented comprehensive enrollment projections for the school district. These projections provide valuable guidance to the board at they consider the future facility and staffing needs of the district.
Waukee Community School District has had a long-term relationship with RSP dating back to 2006 when the district first contracted for assistance with enrollment projections, boundary adjustments and long-term forecasting. The presentation included detailed projections for each individual elementary facility, as well as secondary buildings.
To download the PowerPoint presentation click here.
Three Key Items About the District
- Enrollment is projected to increase over the next five years –nearly 2,500 students
- Capacity pressures will continue at the elementary level (Maple Grove, Shuler Walnut Hills, Waukee, and Woodland Hills), at the middle school (Waukee MS, Waukee South), but with Timberline MS opening in 2015/16 capacity will not be an issue, at the high school by 2018/19.
- There are significant areas of vacant land that when they are developed will have a drastic effect on future enrollment
- Largest class in 2013/14 –1st grade (775)
- Smallest class in 2013/14 –11th grade (447)
- Graduating senior class will likely be smaller than the next year incoming Kindergarten class
- Midpoint data indicates enrollment will continue to increase
- Will hit the 10,000 student mark in 2017/18
- Have more than 900 kindergarten by 2017/18
- Continue to monitor student transfers
- Capacity issues will result in the need for some redistricting in the near future
- Enrollment tends to increase from grade to grade each year from grades
- Enrollment increases have occurred in several of the older developed areas of the community
- The district should continue to annually monitor enrollment
- Plans must begin soon to address high school capacity
- Continue the planning the District has begun –specifically to the location of the 2nd High School
- Continue to analyze the enrollment, demographics, and development provided by RSP –so as to assist with finalizing the public process, community values, and boundary criteria that will address future capacity and enrollment needs
- Make decisions that will provide World Class Education to every student –engage the community in the implementation