March Construction Update
Timberline – 2605 S.E. LA Grant Parkway, Waukee, IA 50263
The design process for school buildings consists of three (3) stages of development. (1) Schematic Design (2) Design Development and (3) Construction Documents. The estimated cost for this project is approximately $25 million and will be paid for using SILO funds. Firmer cost estimates will be provided as we continue to move through the planning phase. The work is slated for a July 2015 completion date.
- Exterior brick complete at classroom wings and 2 of 3 areas on east facade.
- Roofing and windows complete in all 3 academic pod areas.
- Interior wall framing is ongoing.
- Exterior metal siding installation to begin on 3/17/14 (Academic Wing).
- Roofing on Commons area to start next week. Interior masonry walls are mostly complete (Gym, Band, Vocal, Ind. Tech and Wee Warriors).
- M/E/P (Mechanical, Electrical/Plumbing) rough-ins are ongoing throughout building.
- Approve Change Order #1 – $6,887 (add), 5 items – combination of plan omissions and unknown conditions. (Action Item)
A special election will be held on February 4, 2014 for the sale of $18.9 million in general obligation bonds to fund construction of a new elementary school at the intersection of Dartmoor and Douglas Parkway in the city of Waukee and HVAC upgrades at Brookview Elementary School. Polling locations are Waukee District Office, 560 SE University Ave., Waukee and St. Francis of Assisi Church, 7075 Ashworth Rd., West Des Moines. Polls are open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on February 4. For more information the bond referendum click here.
- Coordination meeting with the City of Waukee took place on 2/20. Most discussion around site layout, playground and Dartmoor and Douglas. Coordination meeting with frk and their consultants took place on 2/28, we covered site, mechanical, electrical, technology and architectural. MidAmerican/Weidt Group process will start on 3/11, this is the new construction program we participate in on all projects. Schedule for this project is as follows:
- February – Bond referendum – Complete
- March 24 – SD (Schematic Design) and DD (Design Development) – Approved
- May – complete construction documents
- June/July – bid project
- June 2016 – project completion
CAPS stands for the Center for Advanced Professional Studies and will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. CAPS is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. CAPS will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here.
- Interviews with the top 4 firms (FRK, ShiveHattery, Invision, DLR) took place. Selection Committee members, Susan Bunz, Lora Appenzeller-Miller, Eric Rose, Dr. Wilkerson, Larry Lyon and Jim McCulloh reviewed our findings and discussed recommendations. The committee is recommending the selection of Invision as the architecture firm for the CAPS Facility (Action Item).
- January – issue RFP – Complete
- 1/29 – Pre Submittal Mtg. – Complete
- 2/17 – Proposals due – Complete
- 3/3-3/5 – Interviews with top 4 firms – Complete
- 3/10 – Invision selected as the architecture firm for the CAPS Facility
- April – begin design work
Eason Elementary HVAC Upgrade
- Continuing to work with General Contractor and ShiveHattery on questions and coordination related to mechanical equipment. Most field verification will took place during Spring Break.
Woodland Hills Elementary School – 1120 S 95th Street, West Des Moines, IA 50266-9020
- Working to complete remaining punch-list items in the building.