Waukee FCCLA receives a Gold Honor Chapter Award at state
Waukee FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America) earned multiple awards at the state competition held March 29-31 in Des Moines. Results from state include four champions who received gold and will compete at Nationals in Washington D.C. this July, two students were named runner up who received gold, four students earned silver and Waukee FCCLA receiving a Gold Honor Chapter Award! Kate Closson will serve as the Iowa FCCLA president and Sydney Papadopoulos-Franklin was voted to represent Iowa as a National Officer Candidate.
“FCCLA has been an amazing experience for me because it has taught me leadership skills that I will utilize for the rest of my life. I cannot wait for what next year has in store for me while I serve as the Iowa FCCLA State President,” Closson said.
Her responsibilities as state president will be providing leadership for the Iowa FCCLA State Executive Council, presiding over all official meetings of Iowa FCCLA, attending all Board of Director meetings to give updates from the State Executive Council, attending the State President National Training during National Leadership Conference, serving as a voting delegate at the National Leadership Conference and creating various communications to Iowa members and advisers.
“It is truly an honor to represent Iowa FCCLA at the national level, but it would not have been possible without my entire FCCLA family. Mrs. Callahan has given every member in our chapter the power to succeed. I am so happy that the Iowa delegation believes I am able to carry our state to the national level,” Papadopoulos-Franklin said.
Waukee FCCLA is still relatively new to the District. Callahan started the program at Waukee three years ago. In the last two years, seven Waukee students have become State Champions, one of which has been a State Champion twice. Waukee FCCLA has received two golds at National Conference so far. It currently has seventy-five members, twelve of which have chosen to compete in STAR Events categories.
FCCLA is a service learning and leadership organization that reaches out to organizations in the community to figure out how the group can help individuals and families in need. Waukee FCCLA has helped March of Dimes, Waukee Food Pantry, Children’s Miracle Network, Iowa National Guard, No Kid Hungry and many other organizations that its members are passionate about. The two main components of FCCLA are for students to serve an organization and to lead in setting up the events, as well as competing in the event to showcase their work.
While the popular categories among Waukee students vary from year to year, this year’s main categories were Advocacy, Fashion Design, Focus on Children, Entrepreneurship, Chapter in Review, Chapter Service Project Display, National Programs in Action and Chapter Service Project Portfolio.
District STAR Events are viewed as practice to prepare for the State Conference, as it is the first time that members present their work. Three different judges, usually teachers, parents and community members, are selected to grade students in an event where they have background knowledge. These judges evaluate students using a detailed rubric from National Headquarters that is used at the district, state and national competitions. In order to prepare for competition, students use the rubric as a guide to help them understand what the judges will be looking for from their project. Between district and state, students consider the comments provided by STAR judges and adjust their speeches or displays accordingly.
“My experiences in FCCLA have changed my life. I have gained leadership, confidence, competence and communication and organization skills. FCCLA is where I belong; it’s my home. It has given me purpose and has changed my life forever by making my dreams come true,” Papadopoulos-Franklin said.
Callahan encourages anyone in grades 9-12 who is interested in making a difference in the lives of others to join. Visit her in Room 202 at Waukee High School to learn more about how to become involved.
Results from District STAR Events:
- Taya Miller and Lexy Call – National Programs in Action: Gold
- Katelyn Noah and Betsy Morrison – Focus on Children: Gold
- Susie Lupkes and Malia Griffin – Chapter in Review: Gold
- Kate Closson and Sydney Papadopoulos-Franklin – Chapter Service Project: Gold
- Aldijana Dizdarevic – Entrepreneurship: Silver
- Analese Hauber – Advocacy: Silver
- Maddie Ryan – Fashion Design: Silver
- TeJayy Sullivan – Chapter Service Portfolio: Silver
Congratulations on State FCCLA!
- Susie Lupkes finished out her state officer term
- Kate Closson will serve as the Iowa FCCLA President
- Sydney Papadopoulos-Franklin was voted through to represent Iowa as a National Officer Candidate
- State Champions receiving gold who will be competing in their STAR Events this summer in Washington DC: Kate Closson, Sydney Papadopoulos-Franklin in Chapter Service Project Display along with Susie Lupkes and Malia Griffin in Chapter in Review Display!
- Runner Up receiving gold: Taya Miller and Lexy Call
- TeJayy Sullivan received silver in Chapter Service Project Portfolio
- Madeline Ryan received silver in Fashion Design
- Betsy Morrison and Katelyn Noah received silver in Focus on Children
- Aldijana Nana Dizdarevic received bronze in Entrepreneurship
- Award of Excellence Peer Educations members Hannah Ackerson and Melisa Mehmedovic
- Henry Reinders was selected to be on stage with keynote speaker, Laymon Hicks
- Waukee FCCLA received a Gold Honor Chapter Award
- Anna Kpor and Kayte Bohrn attended their first conference