Dance Team Wins Sixth Consecutive State Championship
On Nov. 30, Waukee High School’s Varsity Dance Team was again crowned the State Champions at the 2013 Iowa State Dance Team Championships. The team earned its sixth consecutive State Champion title in Pom and a second State Championship in Hip Hop. They were also awarded third place in Jazz and the Academic Excellence Award for an overall team grade point average that’s 3.5 or higher.
The team’s Pom performance earned the highest marks awarded to any of the 557 routines judged during the two-day competition that included more than 270 Iowa high schools and 23 college teams. Two of the four judges awarded the Waukee Dance Team perfect scores in Pom – the only two perfect marks awarded during the entire event. One of only three Judge’s Choice Awards was also presented to the team for excellence in execution of their Pom routine.
This year, the team competed against the largest schools in the state in all categories entered (Pom, Hip Hop and Jazz) for the first time.
The 16-member team currently practices together approximately seven hours a week. But they began preparing for the 2013 State Championships in June. In addition to conditioning and practicing dances, the team attended ballet classes and UDA dance team camp during the summer. The team’s superior performance at the State Championships is the result of their dedication, determination and teamwork.
On Feb. 2 and 3, the team will be in Orlando, Florida competing for a National Championship. That same weekend, you can tune into IPTV to watch their State Championship performances.
Waukee Dance Team Facts:
- In the seven years the team has been led by current coach Stephanie Guiter, they have won eight State Championships.
- The team has won the State Pom Championship six consecutive years.
- While the team has competed for the Hip Hop Championship only three years, they’ve already won two State Champion titles and one runner up title.
- Seniors on the 2012-2013 team have won six State Championship titles (four in Pom and two in Hip Hop).
- Team members participate in a variety of other school activities, including show choir, jazz choir, track, cross country, the Silver Cord program, student council, RAK and the National Honor Society. They also excel in the classroom, earning numerous academic letters and maintaining a team grade point average above 3.5.
Waukee Varsity Dance Team Members:
Seniors: Courtney Bavender, Maddie Clough, Meredith Ekberg, Jordyn Glienke, Claire Kirk, Madison Miller, Taylor Stumberg, Micheala Sundermann
Juniors: Camille Griffith, Kelly Koch, Cassidy Longnecker, Megan Schaefer, Keely Smith
Sophomores: Emily Howard, Maddie Pals
Freshmen: Grace Gulbranson
Coaches: Stephanie Guiter and Aubrey Seltrecht