Professional Development: Student Support
South Middle School held professional development targeted around student-centered classrooms on December 12. How did our work impact your child’s learning?
If you have 2 minutes…read this:
SMS staff members:
- reviewed the characteristics of effective instruction, including creating a classroom environment that is student-centered
- attended break-out sessions tailored to their needs and interests in implementing technology within the classroom including:
- Socrative Software
- SMART Board
- Destiny Quest
- reflected on current practices and how they will improve technology usage and lessons that are tailored towards students’ best interests for the future
If you have 5 minutes…read this:
SMS staff members participated in a differentiated shared learning experience revolving around implementing technology within the classroom to create a more student-centered environment for learning.
- Teachers reviewed the characteristics of effective instruction, including student-centered classrooms. Technology implementation plays a large role in making learning student-friendly and engaging. Also, information regarding the importance of student collaboration and group work with individual accountability was presented.
After reviewing the shared knowledge portion, teachers attended a variety of breakout sessions led by colleagues based on their specific needs and interests in learning more about technology tools, including:
- Socrative software – technology that can be utilized for formatively assessing students and creating technology-based class discussions
- SMART Board – an interactive instructional tool that can be used in any classroom setting to get students more actively engaged in their learning
- Photocard – provides another tool for presenting information
- Quizlet – technology that can also be utilized for assessment and gauging students’ grasp or understanding of a recent concept
- ScreenChomp – allows students to take a picture of their screen and add information to explain or reflect upon learning
- LanSchool – allows teachers to support and guide learning while using instructional tools
- Edmodo – online classroom used for uploading assignments and discussions
- Destiny Quest – enormous database filled with information and resources to be used with any content area
For more information about South Middle School professional development please click here.
For more information regarding the five characteristics of effective instruction please click here.