National School Lunch Week Aims to Get Kids Excited About Healthy Choices
More than 32 million children eat school lunch everyday across the USA, and to celebrate the healthy lunch choices in Waukee Community School District, schools will celebrate National School Lunch Week: October 14-18, 2013. The theme, “School Lunch Across the USA” will include events and activities that promote the benefits of healthy school lunches.
The campaign will put a spotlight on the healthy foods and positive changes that the Nutrition and Food Services department have incorporated in their menus. Throughout the week we will be celebrating healthy lunches at Waukee.
The federally-funded National School Lunch Program (NSLP) provides nutritionally balanced, healthy meals to students everyday. The program, which has been serving the nation’s children for more than 60 years, requires school meals to meet federal nutrition standards by:
- Ensuring students are offered both fruits and vegetables every day of the week
- Substantially increasing offerings of whole grain-rich foods
- Offering only fat-free or low-fat milk varieties
- Limiting calories based on the age of children being served
- Reducing amounts of saturated fat, trans fats and sodium.