Tips for Staying Healthy During Flu Season
The single best way to protect against seasonal flu and its potential complications is to get a seasonal influenza vaccine each year.
Children, parents, and staff should take the following everyday preventive actions:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- If possible, stay home from work, school and avoid errands when you are sick.
- You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Throw the tissue away after use and wash your hands.
- If a tissue is not available, cover your mouth and nose with your sleeve, not your hand.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill.