Good Luck at State: Boys Swim Team Wins First District Title in School History
On February 7 Waukee High School’s (WHS) Boys’ Swim Team won their very first District meet title in school history. All fourteen of the WHS athletes who participated in the meet scored in every event.
The Warriors established themselves early and never looked back with significant time drops in every event. The team reigned victorious over seven other teams with a score of 340, the next-closest being Ames with 314. Six school records were broken and WHS coaches Dan Briggs and Cass Zorn earned the District Coaches of the Year Award.
Waukee has accomplished several amazing feats this season. This team beat Johnston for the first time in school history, not just once but three times. They also defended their CIC East title over SE Polk and Ankeny for the third consecutive year. The boys achieved some significant victories over Valley and Ames and had a great meet with Dowling, despite coming up a few points short in the end. The Warriors have achieved the best dual meet season yet (8-1) and have won both Varsity Invites: Johnston Invite and SE Polk Invite.
“These boys have been together from the time many of them were six to eight years old. Coach Zorn and I have helped get them involved with the sport and the progress they have made over the years has been nothing short of amazing. They are fun guys that have great relationships both in and out of the pool together and learn from each experience,” Briggs, who has been the program’s head coach since it began five years ago, said
The Waukee Boys Swim Team is surely poised to do well at the State Meet in Marshalltown on February 14. Good luck!
District Meet Placings in Order of Events: (Top 6 received podium medals, top 12 placed)
- 200 Medley Relay (Shaw, Bell, Muenzenmay, Waltman) Champions (1:37.47)
- 200 Free: Rogers-3rd (1:50.86), Gainer-7th (1:54.15), Wiltse-11th (1:59.80)
- 200 IM: Kuhlers-Runner Up (2:00.57-15 Seed at State), Shaw-3rd (2:00.61-16 Seed at State), Briggs-6th (2:04.06)
- 50 Free: Waltman-Champion (:21.86-10 Seed at State), Pingel-3rd (:22.47), Muenzenmay-5th (:22.61)
- 100 Fly: Waltman-Runner Up (:52.10), Muenzenmay-4th (:53.03), Cooper Bell-9th (:55.46)
- 100 Free: Jackson Kuhlers-Champion (:48.07), Zach Linder-Runner Up (:48.17), Tanner Pingel-4th (:49.11)
- 500 Free: AJ Gainer-7th (5:11.40), Alex Fox-9th (5:30.72), Mason Reinard-10th (5:31.07)
- 200 Free Relay (Linder, Pingel, Waltman, Kuhlers) Champions (1:27.38)
- 100 Backstroke: Brett Shaw-Champion (:54.10), Cameron Briggs-Runner Up (:54.75), Zach Linder (:56.19)
- 100 Breaststroke: Cooper Bell-Runner Up (1:01.69), Grady Rogers-3rd (1:01.82), Mason Remington (1:06.91)
- 400 Free Relay: (Kuhlers, Pingel, Linder, Shaw) Champions (3:15.47)
State Qualifiers by Event: (Top 24 Times of all 6 District Meets)
- 200 Medley Relay (Shaw, Bell, Muenzenmay, Waltman) – 6 Seed
- 200 IM: Kuhlers-15 Seed, Shaw-16 Seed
- 50 Free: Waltman-10 Seed
- 100 Fly: Waltman-4 Seed, Muenzenmay-10 Seed
- 100 Free: Jackson Kuhlers-11 Seed, Zach Linder-12 Seed, Tanner Pingel-20 Seed
- 200 Free Relay (Linder, Pingel, Waltman, Kuhlers) – 4 Seed
- 100 Backstroke: Brett Shaw-10 Seed, Cameron Briggs-12 Seed, Zach Linder-21 Seed
- 100 Breaststroke: Cooper Bell-21 Seed, Grady Rogers-T-22 Seed
- 400 Free Relay: (Kuhlers, Pingel, Linder, Shaw) – 8 Seed