Construction Update: June 2016
Elementary #8 – Grant Ragan
A special election was held on February 4, 2014 for the sale of $18.9 million in general obligation bonds to fund construction of a new elementary school at the intersection of Dartmoor and Douglas Parkway in the city of Waukee and HVAC upgrades at Brookview Elementary School. The bond referendum passed with a 92% yes vote. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- FRK is waiting on two areas to perform punch-lists.
- Working with the GC to have Substantial Completion no later than June 30.
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014 meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Metal panel installation is almost complete!
- Soffit finishing is on-going as is water testing of windows.
- West parking lot has been punched and will be turned over to the District by weeks’ end – this will allow VSA to access.
- 2nd Floor – electrical rough-ins and duct-work are mostly complete with drywall work on-going. Ceiling painting is underway.
- 1st Floor – Wall framing, electrical rough-ins and ductwork installation are ongoing. Drywall work is underway.
- Final site-work and seeding are mostly complete on west half of site. Approve Change Order #5 – (add), 5 items – a combination of plan omissions, design changes and owner request in the amount of $12,235.59. (Action Item)
Bus Facility/Central Receiving
- Site grading is on-going.
- Building pads are set with footings to begin next week.
- Underground utility work is underway as well.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- Nothing new to report.
High School – CCTV
- Material has been ordered.
- Cable installation is underway.
High School – Additional Parking
- First draft of the 28E has been received and will be sent to the City this week for review.
- Bid opening took place on June 2.
- Apparent low-bidder is Jensen Builders in the amount of $432,700.
- Board will be asked to approve at the next scheduled meeting.
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Nothing new to report.
Waukee Middle School– Main Entry Reconfiguration
- All materials have been ordered, work to begin by the end of June.
Eason – Main Entry Reconfiguration
- Demo work is underway.
Admin – Main Entry Reconfiguration/Office Remodel
- Final design is complete and contractor is scheduled to begin work on or around June 20.
Brookview – Re-roof project
- Ballast (rock) removal is on-going, material are being staged and new roof installation is starting underway on he Commons and Gymnasium.
- Approve Change Order #1 – (add), 1 item – owner request in the amount of $1,989.00 – replace cracked brick and add expansion joint at existing gym wall. (Action Item)
Woodland Hills Elementary
- Waiting for confirmation from TimberPine on status of final payment from dck.