Construction Update: July 2016
Elementary #8 – Grant Ragan
A special election was held on February 4, 2014 for the sale of $18.9 million in general obligation bonds to fund construction of a new elementary school at the intersection of Dartmoor and Douglas Parkway in the city of Waukee and HVAC upgrades at Brookview Elementary School. The bond referendum passed with a 92% yes vote. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- All areas have had a final punch-list performed.
- Board will be asked to Approve Substantial Completion and Approve Change Order #2 – (add), 8 items – a combination of Waukee FD and owner requests along with design changes and a plan omission in the amount of $9,099.50.
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014 meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Metal panel installation complete as is the water testing of all windows.
- 2nd Floor – framing, drywall and taping are mostly complete.
- Ceiling painting is approx. 75% complete.
- 1st Floor – wall framing is mostly complete with electrical rough-ins and ductwork installation ongoing.
- Drywall and taping are approx. 75% complete.
- Final site-work and seeding are complete on west half of site with final grading on remaining areas in progress.
Bus Facility/Central Receiving
- Site grading is on-going.
- Footings for the Transportation Facility have been poured with underground ground utility work mostly complete.
- Footings for Ops Bldg. will be poured next week along.
- Paving do begin next week as well. Site utility work is on-going.
- Approve Change Order #1 – (add), 2 items – an unknown condition and a deduct for a piping change in the amount of $5,783.00. (Action Item)
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- FRK is compiling a list of comparable High School sites (MN, KS, MO & IA) for DO Administrators to visit late summer/early fall.
High School – CCTV
- All cameras have arrived.
- Cable installation will be complete by 7/15 with camera installation to follow.
- Project is on schedule to be complete by August 15.
High School – Additional Parking
- Work to begin July 11.
- Substantial completion is scheduled for August 12.
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment is complete – no issues found.
- Title work for the property is in progress.
- Received confirmation from Accurate Development that paving of the street along the north side of the property will be completed this fall.
Waukee Middle School– Main Entry Reconfiguration
- Waiting on material delivery.
Eason – Main Entry Reconfiguration
- Demo work is complete.
- Studs, drywall and masonry work are underway along with door and window framing.
Admin – Main Entry Reconfiguration/Office Remodel
- Demo work is complete.
- Studs, drywall and doorway installation are underway.
Brookview – Re-roof project
- Ballast (rock) removal is complete.
- All materials are on-site with new roof installation at approximately 75% complete, weather permitting the project should be complete by July 15.
Woodland Hills Elementary
- DCK to make final payment by July 15.