Construction Update: August 2016
Elementary #8 – Grant Ragan
A special election was held on February 4, 2014 for the sale of $18.9 million in general obligation bonds to fund construction of a new elementary school at the intersection of Dartmoor and Douglas Parkway in the city of Waukee and HVAC upgrades at Brookview Elementary School. The bond referendum passed with a 92% yes vote. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Project is mostly complete and we received the Certificate of Occupancy on August 3.
- Board was asked to Approve Change Order #3 – (deduct), 1 item – credit remaining balance of contingency in the amount of $131,135.50
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014 meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Painting and interior finishes are on-going throughout the building.
- Some mechanical and electrical rough-ins remain on 1st floor.
- Final site-work and seeding are mostly complete on east-half of site with final grading
Bus Facility/Central Receiving
- Site grading/utility work is on-going.
- Concrete paving is on-going at various locations of the site.
- Floor slab for the Transportation Facility will be poured this week along with footings for the Ops Bldg.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- Visits to both the KC and Minneapolis areas have been scheduled for Aug. 30- 31 and Sept. 8- 9. Currently the group attending the tours consists of two architects with frk and six District Office Administrators.
High School – CCTV
- Cable installation is complete.
- Camera installation is approx. 90% complete. P
- roject is on schedule to be complete by August 15
High School – Additional Parking
- Site work and underground utilities are underway.
- Substantial completion is scheduled for August 21
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Nothing new to report.
Waukee Middle School– Main Entry Reconfiguration
- Material is on-site and work started on August 2.
Eason – Main Entry Reconfiguration
- Studs, drywall and masonry work are complete.
- Painting and carpet are on-going.
- Furniture was schedule to arrive on August 8.
Admin – Main Entry Reconfiguration/Office Remodel
- Demo work is complete.
- Studs, drywall and doorway installation are underway.
Brookview – Re-roof project
- Project is complete!
- Board was asked to Approve Substantial Completion.
Woodland Hills Elementary
- DCK has made final payment to TimberPine, the District has received the appropriate release form and now final payment can be made to DCK.