Construction Update: September 2016
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014 meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Painting and interior finishes are on-going throughout the building.
- Some mechanical and electrical rough-ins remain.
- Mechanical equipment startup is underway.
- Approve Change Order #6 – (add), 6 items – owner requests, plan omissions, design changes in the amount of $35,425.04 (Action Item)
High School – CCTV
- Project is mostly complete with the exception of a two cameras at the stadium.
- Board will be asked to Approve Substantial Completion (Action Item)
High School – Additional Parking
- Project is mostly complete.
- Board will be asked to Approve Substantial Completion and Approve Change Order #1 – (add), 1 item – design changes related to grading and storm sewer in the amount of $1,100.00 (Action Item)
Bus Facility/Central Receiving
- Site grading/utility work is on-going.
- Concrete paving is on-going at various locations of the site.
- Floor slab for the Transportation Facility is complete with structural steel underway.
- Footings are complete at the Ops Bldg. with pouring of the floor slab underway.
- Approve Change Order #2 – (deduct), 2 items – owner requests in the amount of $5,081.00 (Action Item)
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Nothing new to report.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 5-7 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- Toured 4 high schools in the KC areas, lots of good information was gathered.
- Heading to the Twin Cities next.
Elementary #8 – Grant Ragan
A special election was held on February 4, 2014 for the sale of $18.9 million in general obligation bonds to fund construction of a new elementary school at the intersection of Dartmoor and Douglas Parkway in the city of Waukee and HVAC upgrades at Brookview Elementary School. The bond referendum passed with a 92% yes vote. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- GC working on final punch-list items. On track to bring Final Acceptance to the Board in October.
Eason – Main Entry Reconfiguration
- Project is mostly complete with some outstanding punch-list items to complete.
- Board will be asked to Approve Substantial Completion and Approve Change Order #1 – (add), 9 items – owner requests, plan omissions, unknown conditions and design changes in the amount of $14,751.73 (Action Item)
Brookview – Re-roof project
- Board will be asked to Approve Final Completion (Action Item)
Admin – Main Entry Reconfiguration/Office Remodel
- General construction work is mostly complete.
- Most of the new furniture has been delivered and installed.
- Painting and carpeting of remaining areas will continue over the next few months.
Waukee Middle School– Main Entry Reconfiguration
- Project is mostly complete.
- Final installation of door hardware and card access is self-performed and will be complete in the next two weeks.