Construction Update: January 2017
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014 meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Certificate of Occupancy on 1/4/17.
- Board will be asked to approve Substantial Completion.
- Will continue to work with Invison and Neumann to resolve issues with epoxy floor on second floor.
Bus Facility/Central Receiving
- Building is mostly complete with punch-list review taking place on 1/5.
- Furniture installation is mostly complete.
- Tentative move-in date for Durham is 1/13.
- Ops Bldg. – Exterior sheet-metal installation is mostly complete.
- Interior wall framing underway along with ductwork installation and electrical rough-in.
- Fueling Station – canopy over the fueling islands is mostly complete and pumps have ben installed.
- Approve Change Order #4 – (add), 1 item – owner/City of Waukee request in the amount of $37,341.00. City of Waukee will reimburse for ½ the cost. (Action Item). Approve Change Order #5 – (add), 1 item – owner request in the amount of $10,830.00 (Action Item)
Elementary #9 – Radiant Elementary
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Approval process as follows: City of Urbandale P&Z, January 9th, City Council on January 17 and bid date is set for February 16.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 5-7 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- FRK is working on preliminary programming
Waukee High School Main Entry Reconfiguration
- FRK is finalizing drawings, project will be out for bid in early spring.
Elementary #8 – Grant Ragan
A special election was held on February 4, 2014 for the sale of $18.9 million in general obligation bonds to fund construction of a new elementary school at the intersection of Dartmoor and Douglas Parkway in the city of Waukee and HVAC upgrades at Brookview Elementary School. The bond referendum passed with a 92% yes vote. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Holding $40,000 for outstanding work (all site related).
- Will continue to work with GC on final acceptance.
Admin – Main Entry Reconfiguration/Office Remodel
- Final carpet replacement completed weekend of January 6– 8.