Maple Grove Branch
Just a couple quick reminders that were shared earlier in the week.
A couple friendly reminders:
1. We need FIVE MORE Survey Responses to make 100 – We currently have only 95 responses to our family survey sent in December. Our goal is to always have a minimum of 100 participants in our survey in order to gain the most accurate results. Please consider taking five minutes to complete our Leader in Me/Family Engagement Survey by clicking on the following link: http://bit.ly/2hgKmBY We so appreciate your time! We will close the survey this Friday.
2. Watch D.O.G.S. We still have lots of time slots available for Dads of Great Students. Consider signing up for this spring: tinyurl.com/mgwatchdogs16 The impact this program has on ALL students at Maple Grove is incredible! Remember that Grandparents, Uncles, etc. are welcome as well. As always, we welcome anyone that would like to visit our building.
Have a WONDERFUL weekend! Be safe.
Principal Kim Tierney
Notes From the Nurse
We have had a number of students ill. Below is the district’s policy regarding illness just as a reminder. We want all students to stay healthy and your families too!
ILLNESS: Students with the following symptoms will be sent home:
1) Temperature of 100 or above (oral) or equivalent (normal temperature for 24 hours before returning to school)
2) Vomiting (free from vomiting for 24 hours before returning to school)
3) Diarrhea (free from diarrhea for 24 hours before returning to school)
4) Unexplained abdominal pain
5) Severe cold and/or cough
6) Unexplained skin eruptions or rash
7) Swelling, redness, tenderness, discharge of eyes (requires a doctor’s diagnosis and treatment, if needed, or until symptoms are gone)
8) Communicable disease (requires a doctor’s diagnosis and treatment, if needed, or until symptoms are gone)
9) Any health condition that in the nurse’s judgment is of concern for the child’s or other’s health
Cold Weather and Recess:
The district policy is that we go outside for recess 2-3 times daily when the wind chill is zero degrees or above. Please make sure to send your children with the appropriate gear: winter coat, snow pants, boots, gloves, scarf, hat, etc.
Vision Screening 3rd Grade:
The district does require a vision screening for all 3rd grade students. If your student has had one please turn the results in to Nurse Lisa. We will have APEX students coming to do screenings after break for those who still need one completed.
Parent Drop Off and Pick Up
Parent Drop Off and Pick Up: Safety is #1
Just a friendly reminder that students are not allowed to be picked up until parents have entered our “pick-up” zone, which is designated by the yellow paint markings on the sidewalk. We keep students in this area to ensure their safety. Please do not ask your children to meet you in a designated area outside of our pick-up and drop-off area, as we want to ensure the safety of every student at Maple Grove Elementary.
Ways to Increase the Speed of Parent Pick-up and Drop-off:
1. Pull all the way forward so that we can get as many students picked up and dropped off at one time
2. Please do not get out of your vehicle
3. Encourage your students to get into the vehicle and have a conversation with them after your door is closed and your child is safely secured inside
4. Eliminate cell phone use while in the pick-up zone
Thank you for understanding that student safety is our number one priority and we too hope to get students safely into vehicles as quickly as possible, especially during these cold winter months. Brrrr!
JANUARY PTO MEETING: Our next PTO meeting is Monday, January 23rd from 6:00-7:00 PM at the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC, 295 Ashworth Dr. at the corner of LA Grant Parkway and Ashworth). We will be serving pizza and drinks and free childcare will be available. Michelle Hill, Director of Waukee APEX, will be sharing about our amazing APEX program and will take us on a tour of the building. If you will be joining us for the meal, please RSVP with this link:
CHILI’S RESTAURANT NIGHT: Throughout the month of January, Chili’s will be sponsoring a benefit for Maple Grove Elementary. Today through January 31st, we will receive15% of all purchases made by Maple Grove families and friends There is a flyer in your child’s Friday Folder today! Be sure to let your family and friends know to mention Maple Grove or show the flyer when they dine at Chili’s. The flyer provided to us did not include the complete code. Maple Grove’s code is: 7508.
LEADERSHIP UNIVERSITY: FEBRUARY 2, 2017: The PTO will be holding our annual raffle event at Leadership University. In the past, each grade was assigned a theme and we asked for donations related to that theme. This year we are trying a new approach and will not be using a designated theme for each grade. We would love for you and your child to choose an item they would love to receive (games, toys, books) to be used for raffle baskets. We will also accept monetary donations which will be used to purchase large raffle prize items. Please send any items or monetary donations by WEDNESDAY JANUARY 25th. Raffle tickets will be available for purchase at the event. All tickets will be $1 per ticket or you can go for a deal $10 for 12 tickets or $20 for 25 tickets or $40 for 50 tickets. Looking at the list of prizes, you’re going to want to go with the $40 option!! Here are the amazing prizes we have so far:
2017 RAFFLE PRIZES SO FAR: AMERICAN GIRL DOLL- ISABELLE, PRINCIPAL FOR THE DAY, ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL FOR THE DAY, SECRETARY FOR THE DAY, ISU WOMEN’S BASEKTBALL TICKETS 2, UNI MEN’S BASKETBALL TICKETS 2 GAME ON 2/25, KC ROYALS 2 TICKETS, ST. LOUIS CARDS 2 TICKETS, CHICAGO CUBS- KYLE HENDRICK’S AUTOGRAPHED PHOTO, LIVING HISTORY FARMS FAMILY PACK, SCIENCE CENTER OF IOWA FAMILY 4 PACK, BLANK PARK ZOO FAMILY 4 PACK, DES MOINES PERFORMING ARTS 4 TICKETS TO MOTHER GOOSE, OMAHA ZOO 4 TICKETS, STONEY CREEK ONE FREE NIGHT STAY, KUM & GO $50 GIFT CARD, WAUKEE YMCA 4 MONTH FAMILY MEMBERSHIP, BAR LOUIE FREE APPETIZER, RODAN AND FIELDS EYE CREAM, PIED PIPER STUDIOS- KINDERMUSIK 1 MONTH FREE MEMBERSHIP, JOSEPH’S JEWELERS NECKLACE, FIREBIRDS $25 GIFT CERTIFICATE, SCENTSY PRODUCT BASKET, BARN TOWN BREWERY $50 GIFT CARD, GILROY’S 5 BREAKFAST VOUCHERS, STARBUCKS GIFT CARD, BOOKS: FANTASTIC BEASTS & HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD, TAKE IN A BASEBALL GAME AND GRAB SOME SNACKS WITH A FRIEND AND MR. LAWRY, TAKE IN A MOVIE WITH MRS. STAHN, TWO LADIES PULSAR WATCHES VALUED AT $125 AND $165, ENROLLMENT TO WAUKEE FARRELL’S SPRING SESSION VALUED AT $449
IT’S BOX TOPS TIME AGAIN: Deadline for Box Tops is February 15. Our final submission date is almost here for this school year! Please bring your unexpired Box Tops to your teacher starting now! Again, the class with the most Box Tops will be rewarded! It is helpful if Box Tops are cut, counted and placed in a baggie with your child’s name, teacher’s name and number of Box Tops written on the baggie.
Iowa Assessments for 3rd, 4th and 5th Grades
During the mornings of February 7th, 8th and 9th your student will be taking Iowa Assessments (formerly called ITBS). If you know your child will be gone on any of those days, please let us know right away so we can administer the test before they go. Thanks!
While these tests are very important, we do not want to put pressure on our students, too much pressure can cause test anxiety and lead to lower scores.
We do not study for this test because this is a measure of the student’s learning and problem solving from birth to now!! But we do have some tips to follow to make it a smooth week….although these tips can actually be used everyday!!
- Make sure your student gets a good night sleep, 9-10 hours is usually recommended.
- Provide a healthy breakfast on test day and everyday. Breakfast fuels the brain!
- Have your student dressed comfortably and arrive at school on time. We will begin testing promptly at 9:00. Please try to avoid appointments that week during the morning hours. Please do not send your child to school sick, we have make up days for those who have to miss because of illness.
- Remind your student to read the directions carefully and look at all the answers before choosing one.
- Tell your student to check his or her answers before turning them in. Remind them not to rush and to do his/her very best!
- Most importantly… Send your student off to school with confidence-building words and support – You’ll do great! Believe in yourself! I love you!
Again, if you know your child will be gone on any of those days, please let us know right away so we can administer the test before they go. Thanks!
Save the Date
Leadership University Open House
“Passport to Leadership”
Thursday, February 2, 2017
What: *Journey through the 7 Habits *Mega Raffle *Basket Raffle * Musical Performances * Spaghetti Dinner* Local Community Clubs/Organizations *Dance Marathon hosted by Student Lighthouse
*Choose your own adventure by visiting different stations throughout our school to learn about the seven habits. Self guided by your child.
Where: Maple Grove Elementary
Why: A fun night for you and your family to learn about and live the 7 habits.
RSVP will be coming SOON!
2nd Grade Citizenship Project
From January 17-27th, second grade will be leading Maple Grove on a school-wide citizenship project. Students will be collecting pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald House of Des Moines. There is no need to count your tabs, just have your child bring their pop tabs to their classroom for collection any time during the two weeks. The grade level that collects the most pop tabs will earn a pop party!
2017-2018 Kindergarten Enrollment
2017-2018 Kindergarten Enrollment is Happening NOW
Visit our district webpage, www.waukeeschools.org, and click on the Kindergarten Enrollment graphic on the front page to learn more. You may also click HERE and it will take you directly to the site. Please note that our “Kindergarten Camp” will be held on Tuesday, April 25th at Maple Grove Elementary.
Mission: GaGa Ball Pit
Results are in! The students at Maple Grove Elementary would like to add a GaGa Ball pit to the playground. This game was introduced at the beginning of the year in Physical Education class. GaGa Ball is a game for all ages!
This is a great activity because of its simplicity. GaGa Ball involves continuous motion, quick gameplay, and a need to be alert at all times. The students are in a hexagon shaped closed in area and a ball is dropped in the center. Once the gameplay commences, students hit the ball underhand towards their opponent’s feet. If hit with the ball, students jump out of the hexagon and they can earn re-entry by doing a simple physical activity, such as jumping jacks, or simply waiting for another game to begin.
Student Lighthouse will have a station set up on Thursday, February 2nd at Leadership University. Please stop by to play and learn more about this exciting activity! There will also be a Donor’s Choose link emailed out to help support the project.
Contact Kacie Whipps at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Daddy Daughter Dance
2017 Waukee After-Prom Daddy Daughter Dance. February 18, 6-7:30 pm. $25.00 per couple. Ages 2-22. For more information and to download the registration form visit: https://www.waukeeschools.org/2017/01/daddy-daughter-dance-2/