Construction Update: February 2017
Elementary #9 – Radiant Elementary
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Bid date has been delayed due to continued coordination with the City of Urbandale regarding the site plan.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 5-7 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- FRK is working with district staff to identify preliminary programming needs.
Bus Facility/Central Receiving
- Transition to the new location has gone smoothly.
- Currently working with Durham to make necessary additions or changes that will further improve productivity and efficiency.
- Remaining site-work will take place in the spring.
- Ops Bldg. – exterior building envelope is mostly complete with the exception of the masonry.
- Interior wall framing is mostly complete with drywall installation underway.
- Substantial completion is tentatively scheduled for May 1.
- Fueling Station – work continues on enclosures for the fuel tanks.
- Planning to put station into operation in early May.
- Approve Change Order #6 – (add), 2 items – an owner request and design change in the amount of $46,213.00. (Action Item).
- Approve Change Order #7 – (add), 1 item – owner request/design change in the amount of $8,272.00 (Action Item).
- Approve Change Order #8 – (add), 5 items – a combination of design changes, owner requests and City requirements $15,783.00. (Action Item).
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014 meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Remaining work on the epoxy floor will take place in June.
- Approve Change Order #8 – (add), 18 items, a combination of design changes, plan omissions, owner requests and City requirements in the amount of $69,471.20 (Action Item).
Waukee High School Main Entry Reconfiguration
- FRK will have final plans and specs in the next couple of weeks.
Elementary #8 – Grant Ragan
A special election was held on February 4, 2014 for the sale of $18.9 million in general obligation bonds to fund construction of a new elementary school at the intersection of Dartmoor and Douglas Parkway in the city of Waukee and HVAC upgrades at Brookview Elementary School. The bond referendum passed with a 92% yes vote. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Working with GC to close out contract and self-perform any remaining work.
Admin – Main Entry Reconfiguration/Office Remodel
- Project is mostly complete with the exception of some peripheral painting.