Maple Grove Branch
A Note From Principal Tierney
We hope you have had an enjoyable and relaxing summer! We are excited to be serving you and your family this year and know it will be a fun and exciting year for everyone! There is a lot going on here at Maple Grove, as our amazing teachers are preparing eagerly for our students’ arrival. We will welcome around 725 students this next week and we plan to create a rich learning environment, specifically tailored to each of their academic, physical, social and emotional needs.
As a reminder, our Open House for all Maple Grove Elementary students is scheduled for Monday, August 21st from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. This is a great opportunity for you and your child to tour the building, find classroom(s) and meet teachers and staff. Please bring your child’s school supplies to school that evening. Upon re-entering our building this year, you will notice some changes. Our operations department has been busy painting a beautiful new color scheme on the walls and preparing our school for some new carpet in the hallways, however, that is not quite complete at this time. For now, you will get to see some new colors on our walls, which has begun to create a much more vibrant and “elementary” learning environment. Just like you, we have to plan our renovations and improvements around an allocated budget; therefore, the final completion date for our carpet and paint update will be August of 2018. You’ll see portions of our carpet installed over the next several months and throughout our school year. Thank you in advance for your patience with this transition, and I know you and your students will love the outcome once it’s complete.
I look so forward to working alongside each of you and your children this school year. It’s my greatest honor to serve as principal of this great, great school.
Important – Classroom Party Sign Up
Over the past several years, attendance at our holiday parties has grown immensely, equating to lines far beyond our entrance. We have continuously gotten feedback from parents, educators and even students that there are too many people in classrooms, causing over stimulation of both students and adults and over-crowding within classrooms and our parking lots. For these reasons, we will be facilitating some changes to classroom parties this year:
- Parents in the classroom must be volunteers helping to plan and coordinate the party.
- Classroom volunteers will be limited to five at each party, within each classroom.
- If you wish to volunteer to coordinate the party, and there are more parents within a classroom willing to do so compared to the amount of parties allocated, then we will hold a lottery, in hopes of allowing each desired parent a spot at one of our three parties, again, limiting the total number of parents to five within each classroom.
- Parents that have signed up as the classroom’s “Home Room Parent” will automatically be allotted attendance at each classroom party, and is not included as one of the five allocated party volunteers, however will oversee that classroom party guidelines are implemented.
- As always, non-school age siblings are asked not to attend classroom parties in order to keep the attention and focus on the school-age children.
While connectivity is so important at Maple Grove Elementary, we feel that there are ways to achieve this without compromising the classroom party experience for our students and staff.
Other Waukee elementary schools have facilitated this protocol in the past and it has gone over very well, providing a positive experience for all involved. Again, we hope to see as many parents, grandparents and other family members at events such as Leadership University, Bingo for Books, Music Concerts, Parent-Teacher Conferences, Fun Night at Pump It Up, Family Movie Night and More this coming school year. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
Waukee Students Elementary Handbook
The Waukee elementary student handbook can be found on the district website. Choose “Students and Parents” from the tool bar, then scroll down to “Handbook and Policies”.
Parent Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- Buses will drop off and pick up students on the NORTH side of the building. This area is designated for BUSES AND DAYCARE VANS ONLY. Please do not pull in the north lot after 3:00 p.m.
- *During the day, the curb in the north lot is a FIRE LANE and is not to be used as a lane for parents to pick up or drop off their students. Visitor parking spaces are available on the west side of the building.
- *Parents who drop off and pick up their students may pull along the curb in the WEST LOT to do so. Parents pulling along the curb must remain in their vehicles, as students will walk on the sidewalk to and from their parents. Cars will be directed to pull forward to pick up/drop off students toward the front of the line. The line will continue to move forward as cars exit the drop off/pick up lane. This will keep traffic moving forward. Please do not form a double lane by the curb to pick up children.
- *If you choose to park, you must park in a designated parking space and walk to the sidewalk to accompany your child to your vehicle. No children will be allowed to walk by themselves from the student area to your vehicle but will remain on the sidewalk closest to the building until you come for them. Preschool families will be expected to park in the west parking lot and walk through the cross-walk to get their child.
Thank you for your support in keeping our children safe by following these procedures.
Good News! You asked and we listened! Mrs. Tierney is working on obtaining a crossing guard at the intersection of 98th Street and Chalk Street to help support the safety of our students. The crossing guard will be available from 8:30-8:45 each morning, and from 3:40-3:50 each afternoon. As always, the safety of our students is our number one priority.