Totem Tales 9/22
Message from Mrs. Johnson
As we settle into the school year I’d like to share some important reminders regarding dropping off and/or picking up your children at school. The following information comes directly from our elementary parent/student handbook:
“Parents who drop off and pick up their students may pull along the curb in the EAST LOT to do so. Parents pulling along the curb must remain in their vehicles, as students walk on the sidewalk to and from their parents’ vehicles. Cars will be directed to pull forward to pick up/drop off students toward the front of the line as cars exit the drop-off/pick-up lane. This will keep traffic moving forward. Please DO NOT form a double lane by the curb to pick up children.
“Parents choosing to park in the available parking spaces must use the crosswalk to accompany your child to and from your vehicle. NO CHILDREN WILL BE ALLOWED TO WALK BY THEMSELVES TO YOUR VEHICLE, BUT WILL REMAIN ON THE SIDEWALK UNTIL YOU COME FOR THEM.”
- The only area where students can be dropped off or picked up while parents remain in the car is the drop-off lane that runs adjacent to the sidewalk along the front of the building. If you choose to use this option, you must remain in the car and your child needs to get out of the vehicle using the door closest to the curb. Staff members on duty will assist students who need help getting out.
- If you do not wish to wait in the drop-off lane you must park in the parking lot and escort your child across the crosswalk to ensure he/she is safely on the sidewalk closest to the building. You may not drop children off in the parking lot. Students will not be allowed to walk alone through the parking lot and across the crosswalk.
Please help keep our school safe by adhering to the procedures outlined in the handbook.
Nicole Johnson, Principal
7 Habits Training for Parents
We are very excited to offer the 7 Habits Signature Training to Waukee Elementary Parents this fall! This is the same training that our staff has completed as part of our Leader in Me journey at Waukee Elementary. We are offering the training during the month of October for some staff members and any interested WE parent!
Sessions will be from 4:30-7:00 pm on the following dates:
- Wednesday, October 4th
- Wednesday, October 11th
- Wednesday, October 18th
- Wednesday, October 25th
The cost of materials for the course is $100 per person and we are asking that each parent pays for his/her own training kit. There are no other costs associated with the course.
Please register by the end of the day on Monday, September 25th if you are planning to participate.
Thank you for considering this learning opportunity!
W.E. Family Tailgate Social
All W.E. Families are invited to come Sharpen the Saw Friday, 9/29, with our W.E. community!
Food & games will be provided!
Music, fun, and games for the entire family!
Park in the East (main) lot – Food & Fun will be in the North Lot/Bus Lane.
- Thank you again to everyone who has donated towards our second annual Waukee Elementary PTO Fun Run. Our last donation collection was today, but you can donate online through RevTrak up until the day of the run to help us reach our goal. We could still use a few volunteers so please consider signing up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d44afac2aa4fa7-funrun1.
Fun Run schedule for Friday 9/29:
1:00: Kindergarten and 1st grade warm up
1:10: 1st-grade runs
1:30: Kindergarten runs
1:50: 2nd and 3rd grade warm up
2:00: 2nd-grade runs
2:20: 3rd-grade runs
2:40: 4th and 5th grade warm up
2:50: 4th-grade runs
3:10: 5th-grade runs
**Please remember that we will have close to 800 students and staff participating throughout the day so times may not be exact**
- Fall Party Planning Meeting will be on Tuesday, September 26th at 7 pm at WE
- W. E. Spirit Nights! This Thursday, 9/28 from 4-8pm at Saints Waukee and October 19th at HyVee.
For more information please “like” our Waukee Elementary PTO Facebook page.
Waukee Invitational 3rd-7th Grade Mile Run October 2
All Waukee Community School District third through seventh-grade students are invited to participate in the Annual Waukee Invitational Mile run on October 2 at Eason Elementary School, 605 SE Boone Drive, Waukee, IA.
Register Online for the following race grades/times:
- Girls (3-4 grade) 4:30 p.m.
- Boys (3-4 grade) 4:45 p.m.
- Girls (5-6 grade) 5:00 p.m.
- Boys (5-6 grade) 5:15 p.m.
- Girls & Boys (grade 7 only) 5:30 p.m.