Parent-Student-Teacher conferences will take place November 11-17. If you need to make any changes to you conference time, please contact your child’s teacher.
Conference Meals for Teachers
Fall conferences are right around the corner!! The Brookview PTO will be collecting monetary donations for the teacher conference meal this year.
This meal is a gesture to show appreciation for all teachers do each day. We would love your support in providing this meal. Donations can be made using RevTrak. Once in RevTrak, look for the Elementary PTO section.
We will also offer conference snacks for teachers on Wednesday, November 15th. More information will be in the next issue of the Brookview Banner.
If you have any questions, please email Teresa Peterson at email@example.com.
PTO will also offer conference snacks for teachers on Wednesday, November 15th, so we are looking for donations. http://signup.com/go/MDeRetz
2nd Waukee High School
Want accurate up-to-date information on Waukee’s 2nd High School. Go to 2ndhs.waukeeschools.org.
Pop Tabs for Ronald McDonald House
Every year, the Ronald McDonald House uses pop tab donations to cover their energy and water bill expenses. The tabs are collected and recycled for scrap metal that is sold for money. One pound of pop tabs equals about $0.40.
Brookview students are competing by grade level to bring in the most pop tabs each month. The winning grade level gets a prize! Fifth grade students will collect tabs at the end of each month, calculate the totals, and announce the leading grade level!
Give love and start collecting
Waukee Foundation is gearing up once again for our annual food drive! Each year this is the largest drive that helps to stock the shelves at the Waukee Food Pantry.
- The pantry feeds about 200 families each month
- 9.3% of Dallas County residences are food insecure
- Usage is up nearly 30% from last year
- Each month they give away an average of 350 boxes of cereal and 700 cans of vegetables
Below are the items most needed, broken down by schools. Please keep in mind that families can donate anything from the list, regardless of which school they attend. Also, remember that the pantry can take cash donations! They use the money to buy food in bulk for better savings, to purchase items such as turkeys and hams during the holidays, and to purchase fresh items such as milk and eggs.
Cash donations can be made by writing a check made out to Waukee Christian Services and given to the schools or by donating via Revtrak HERE. The food drive will be held from November 1-17.
- Walnut Hills Elem – Whole Grains – brown rice, muffin mix, pasta, saltine crackers
- Eason Elem – Meals in a Can – stew, sloppy joe, chili, soup, ravioli, canned tuna or chicken
- Brookview – Breakfast – low sugar cereal, oatmeal, pancake mix & syrup, peanut butter
- Maple Grove – Fruit – canned fruit packed in juice, dried fruits, fruit cups, 100% juice
- Woodland Hills – Baby Needs – diapers (size 3 & up), baby wipes, toilet paper, baby wash, toddler foods
- South Middle School – Vegetables – canned vegetables (low/no salt), vegetable soup, tomato products, spaghetti sauce, V-8 juice
- Timberline – Oils & Condiments – vegetable oil, syrup, jelly & jam, sugar, mayonnaise, flour
- Waukee Middle School – Starches – macaroni & cheese, hamburger & tuna helper, spaghetti, boxed potatoes, saltine crackers
- Grant Ragan – Protein – canned tuna & chicken, beans, peanut butter, nuts
- Shuler Elem – Personal Care – shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, toilet paper, tissue
- Prairieview – Soap Products – hand soap (bar/liquid), laundry, dish detergent, cleaning
- Waukee Elem – Individually Packed Snacks – fruit cups, granola/breakfast bars, cereal cups, beef sticks, canned meals, drink boxes
- High School – Healthy Snacks – raisins, popcorn, granola bars, snack crackers
- WILC & District Office – Granola bars, canned foods, personal care items, diapers size 3 & up.
Sign up online for WATCH D.O.G.S. Please use the following link
Contact Eric Danner with any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bundle Up For Recess
Students go outside for recess everyday unless the wind chill is 0 degrees or below. Students are not allowed to stay indoors for recess without a medical excuse. Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately. Hats and gloves are important during the winter months. Boots and snow pants are needed when there is snow on the ground. On snowy days, students are required to stay on the blacktop unless they are wearing boots and snow pants. Please remember to label all of your child’s winter clothing.
Waukee Community School District (WCSD) uses SchoolMessenger for emergency notifications. Notifications include inclement weather, late starts or other emergency situations that may arise during or after school hours. SchoolMessenger works with PowerSchool, so there is no list for parents to sign up for, however, in order for parents to receive a text message, parents must complete the “opt-in” process.
Subscribe by texting: “Y”, “Yes,” or “Subscribe” to 67587. The cell phone numbers used must be in PowerSchool to receive a notification. Unsubscribe at any time by texting the key words: “Quit”, “Remove” or “Unsubscribe” to 67587.
Lost and Found
Brookview’s Lost and Found is located outside the music room. Please label all jackets, coats, sweatshirts, hats, gloves, water bottles and lunch boxes. Please check the Lost and Found area often. Twice a year, at Winter Break and Spring Break, anything not labeled is donated to a charitable organization.
Substitute Associates Needed!
Come join the Waukee Community School District as a substitute associate.
- Flexibility: You choose when and where you want to work
- Pay: $12.00 per hour
- Experience: Gain great classroom skills
To apply go to https://www.waukeeschools.org/careers/career-opportunities/. Questions: contact Amelia Clark @ 515-987-5161 ext., 4529
Classroom parties and birthday treats: No homemade treats or food items are permitted. All treats must be commercially prepared and packaged for distribution with the intact ingredient label. Krispy Kreme donuts are not an allergy safe option. Please refer to the Waukee Parent Handbook for more information on the Waukee Allergy Policy. The Waukee Nutrition Department has peanut free snacks for purchase. Please visit www.waukeeschools.org for more information.
When to Stay Home
- Fever – Student must be fever free for 24 hours (less than 100 degrees).
- Vomit – Student must have not vomited for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Diarrhea – Student must be free from diarrhea for 24 hours.
- Pink Eye – Student can return to school after 1st dose of medication or as directed by your physician.
- Lice – Student is not sent home the day of discovery. Allowed to return after initial treatment.
- Health Blog – To subscribe to the WCSD Health Information Blog, please use the following link http://blogs.waukeeschools.org/health/. The blog contains school and grade level specific heath information.
To make every reasonable effort to provide a safe learning environment for our students, all volunteers must complete an online volunteer form. The form is found here online volunteer form. It takes about 5 minutes to complete and must be completed before you can volunteer in any of Waukee CSD’s buildings.
Brookview Helping Hands
Brookview Helping Hands meets again on Tuesday, November 7, after school from 3:45-4:45. We will start and end in the library. If you have any questions, you can contact Marci Hayes at email@example.com
Brookview Party Dates
All Party Times are 2:30 – 3:15
- Winter – December 21
- Valentine –February 14
Fine Arts Dates
- Kindergarten: May 8, at BV time TBA
- 1st Grade: May 3, at BV time TBA
- 2nd Grade: April 19, at BV time TBA
- 3rd Grade is February 1, at WHS Auditorium 6:30PM
- 4th Grade is March 1, at WHS Auditorium 6:30 PM
- 5th Grade is March 29, at WHS Auditorium 6:30PM
PTO Restaurant Nights
Mark your calendars for our upcoming restaurant nights where you don’t have to cook and a percentage of the proceeds go directly back to our school! Check out the earning’s we have made thus far because of your support!
|Date of Event||Earning’s|
|Z’Maricks||Thursday, August 31||$383.24|
|Chipotle||Tuesday, September 12||$362.03|
|Dairy Queen||Thursday, October 19||$273.80|
|Chick-Fil-A||Tuesday, November 7||N/A|
|Hy-Vee Market Grille||Tuesday, December 5||N/A|
|Panera Bread – University Ave.||Tuesday, February 6||N/A|
The PTO is looking for a few volunteers for the 2018- 2019 school year. We are needing 2 volunteers to chair the Yearbook and one volunteer to chair Fine Arts. Volunteers will be able to work with the current chairs this year to learn the positions and then will take over for next school year. If interested, please contact Maren Trettin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Shannon Gausman (email@example.com) if interested.
Looking for classes and activities for students and adults? Visit www.waukeeschools.org. On the front page, click on the purple backpack to view Waukee Community Education classes, Waukee Camps and Clinics, Waukee District events and non-profit community fliers.
Clipping Box Tops is an easy way to earn cash for Brookview. Each Box Top is worth 10¢! Look for the pink Box Top on hundreds of products. Just clip and send to school. You can send them to school in any increments. Groups of 50, can be grouped together and placed in a baggie.
For more information on Box Tops, including a list of participating products, go to BTFE.com. Be sure to sign up as a member (it’s free!) so you can check out our school’s earnings details and get access to coupons and bonus offer
Last school year, we earned $779.50 for our school from Box Tops. This school year, our goal is to earn $1,000.
If you have any questions, please contact Becky Twedt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PTO is looking for space to store Carnival games and Fun Run obstacles. We would like the space to be protected from the weather and preferably lockable. If you have space you would like to donate or rent out please contact Maren (email@example.com) or Shannon (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thank you!