Maple Grove Branch
Notes From The Nurse
This is a reminder of our hearing testing dates of:
SCREENING: Nov. 7-10 at 9:00 am
RETEST: Nov. 20 at 9:00 am
Fall Parent-Teacher Conferences we know it!
Fall Parent-Teacher Conferences are just around the corner. From now through Nov. 3, 2017, you will have the opportunity to access our calendar and pick an available time that best fits your schedule.
For those of you who are new to Parent-Teacher Conferences here in Waukee, they are student-involved, which means students participate in the conferences. Conferences are divided up into three parts, all of equal importance. The first part (approximately 10 minutes in length) is spent with the student, parent, and classroom teacher celebrating student progress by viewing artifacts created by the student within their Leadership Notebook. The next part (approximately 10 minutes in length) is time just with the teacher and parent discussing data and any questions parents may have for the teacher. Finally, parents and their students will have the opportunity to view more artifacts outside of the scheduled conference time and classroom.
Conference Sign Up
- To begin the sign-up process, please click here.
- Choose “Maple Grove Elementary” from the drop-down menu, then click “go.”
- Once you are in the site, you will need to enter “warriors” for the password.
- You may find your student by his/her student id number (lunch or library number) or by entering his/her birthdate and name.
- Click on the 20-minute time slot that works best for your family to meet.
Conferences will be held November 11-17.
- All teachers will hold conferences from 2:00-4:00pm on Wednesday, November 15 and from 4:00-8:00pm on Thursday, November 16.
- Each teacher will also schedule four additional hours outside of the school day during the week for conferences to occur.
- Please check the related arts teachers’ blogs and signs outside their classroom doors for information on when they are available to meet.
- If you have any questions regarding parent teacher conferences, support with the sign up process, or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact the school.
We look forward to seeing you during conferences! They will be here before we know it!
Shortcuts to the PTO items below:
NOVEMBER PTO MEETING: Our next PTO meeting will be November 20th 6:00-7:00pm in the library. Please join us…everyone is welcome! Our learning highlight will be a presentation from our Superintendent, Cindi McDonald. We will have childcare and pizza available (please RSVP via email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like pizza or childcare so that we have enough available). Hope to see you!
MAPLE GROVE NIGHT AT PUMP IT UP: Please join us for a new Maple Grove PTO fundraiser at Pump It Up on November 21st 6:00-8:00pm. The cost is $7 if you preregister and $7.50 at the door. We encourage you to sign up ahead of time so that Pump It Up will have enough staff available. This is open to all of Maple Grove grades PK-5 (the younger grades will be in a separate section from the older grades and we will switch after an hour). Parents, feel free to leave your kids and go holiday shopping or out to dinner while the staff and a few PTO members watch over them! Remember to bring your special sticky socks or you can purchase them at Pump It Up. Sign up link here (click on the calendar and find our date). Hope to see you!
CONFERENCE WEEK: Fall conferences will soon be here and we are in need of volunteers to help provide meals and snacks for our wonderful teachers on November 15th and 16th. Please click HERE to donate. Thank you!
BOOK FAIR VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: It’s time for Maple Grove Elementary’s annual Book Fair! Our Book Fair would not be possible if it weren’t for the help of our parent volunteers. This is a great opportunity to meet teachers, students and their families. We are looking for parent volunteers to help run cash registers and stock books. There are several shifts available. You are welcome to sign up for more than one shift. Please visit this link to sign up. Thank you!!
The Book Fair will be held in the Maple Grove Media Center on:
Saturday, November 11th from 8:00 am-noon
Monday, November 13th from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Tuesday, November 14th from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Wednesday, November 15th from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Thursday, November 16th from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- The book fair will also be open from 8:35 am through open library time (9:05 am) Monday, Nov. 13th thru Thursday, Nov.16th.
- Your child will get to preview the book fair and will bring home a “wish list”. Bring your child’s wish list when you come to shop or you may send a check (payable to Maple Grove PTO) for the total amount on the wish list (or for the amount of books you wish to buy). There is no tax. Wish list orders will be filled during the day and returned to the students in their classroom.
- During our book fair, we invite you to help build our classroom libraries by purchasing a book and donating it to your child’s class through the Classroom Wish List Program. Visit the Classroom Wish List board in the Media Center during the fair to browse teacher requests.
Thank you for supporting the continued growth of Maple Grove Media Center materials via your book fair purchases. You may also order from Book Fair online October 27-November 16:
All books ordered online will go directly to your child’s classroom after the fair.
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION: Thanks to everyone who has turned in Box Tops and Box Top sheets for a prize! Please continue to send them in! It’s very helpful to make sure they are not expired. Our first submission was just sent in and we’ll let you know how much we made soon! The funds will go towards purchasing more iPads for Maple Grove! The grade level winners were:
PK- Ms. Nikki
1 – White
REMIND ME APP: Stay up-to date with the happenings of the Maple Grove PTO by signing up for notifications through the Remind App, an app that is already used by many of our wonderful teachers here at MGE! Once joined you will receive reminders/notifications about important dates (i.e. Miles for Maple Grove packet due dates, Leadership University), upcoming PTO meetings (we’d love to have you join us!) and other events! To sign up text 81010 and enter the message @9ckd42
Winter Warmth Drive
Our Winter Warmth Drive has come to an end, but with all of your generous donations it was a HUGE success!! Maple Grove was able to raise 516 items of winter gear that will be donated to kids and families in our community and the Des Moines Metro area. Thank you so much for helping us impact our world!
Starting Monday November 6th, we will be implementing a new procedure when a child is picked up during school hours. Everyone picking up a student will need to show a picture ID. Parent/guardian will need to give notification via email, phone call, or note if anyone other than the parent/guardian is to pick up the student.
Waukee Foundation Food Drive
November 1st will be the kick-off for the annual Waukee Foundation Scholarships food drive. You have until Friday Nov. 17th to bring your goods into your school. Every year the students of the Waukee School District are great contributors and supporters of this program for the Waukee Food Pantry. Last year we raised over 12,000 lbs. of good and over $3,000 in cash! We are striving to beat those numbers! Help us reach our goal by helping the families that need us! Maple Grove is assigned to have families donate fruit – canned fruit packed in juice, dried fruits, fruit cups, and 100% juice beverages. Other food donations will be accepted as well. Cash donations can be made by writing a check made out to Waukee Christian Services and given to the schools or by donating via Revtrak HERE.
Thank you so much for supporting this cause for our community.
Substitute Associates Needed
Come join the Waukee Community School District as a substitute associate.
- Flexibility: You choose when and where you want to work
- Pay: $12.00 per hour
- Experience: Gain great classroom skills
To apply: https://www.waukeeschools.org/careers/career-opportunities/ à view our open positions à Substitute Classified àSubstitute Associates à Apply
Questions: contact Amelia Clark @ 515-987-5161 ext, 4529
Music/Band Concert Dates
- December 12 – 1st Grade Concert, 6:00 pm: Folsom, Holmes, Miller / 7:00 pm: Ollenburg, Turner
- December 21 – 5th Grade Music Assembly, 1:45 pm
- January 11 – 3rd Grade Concert, 6:00 pm
- February 6 – 4th Grade Concert, 6:00 pm
- March 27 – 5th Grade Band/Chorus/General Music Concert, 6:00 pm
- April 12th – 2nd Grade Concert, 6:00 pm: TBD / 7:00 pm: TBD
- May 3rd – Kindergarten Concert, 6:00 pm: TBD / 7:00 pm: TBD