WE Totem Tales 11/3
A Note from Mrs. Johnson
We’re very excited to welcome students and families into the building for Fall Conferences between November 11-17! Below is some information that will be helpful when reading your child’s progress report and understanding the format of our student-involved conferences.
Progress reports will be updated via PowerSchool on Friday, Nov. 10th. Waukee’s standard based indicators are provided below. Each indicator shows progress towards each specific learning targets for each progress report statement…that is expected by the end of the year.
- EE: Exceeds Expectations – Student demonstrates above grade level understanding for the targeted skill or concept.
- SC: Secure – Student can apply the skill or concept correctly and independently.
- DV: Developing – Student shows some understanding. Reminders, hints, and suggestions are needed to promote understanding.
- BG: Beginning – Student shows little understanding of the concept. Additional teacher support is needed.
The following link will take you to the electronic brochure for student-involved conferences:
These conferences will be divided into three parts – all of equal importance.
- The student-involved portion of the scheduled conference time will last approximately 10 minutes. During this time the student, parent(s), and teacher will meet together to examine student learning, in areas such as reading, writing, math, and behavior.
- The remaining portion of the conference time, approximately 10 minutes, the parent(s) and teacher will meet to have further conversation about student learning progress.
- The third part will occur outside of the scheduled conference time between the student and parent. Students will share artifacts and student learning in the additional content areas. Classroom teachers will communicate with parents on how/when this can occur. Some teachers will be sending artifacts/portfolios home prior to conferences. Please be watching for information about this from your classroom teacher.
Thank you for partnering with us in your child’s education!
Nicole Johnson, Principal
To show our appreciation, the PTO will be providing snacks and drinks for the staff during the week of fall conferences as well as a dinner on Thursday evening. We still have a few spots open to donate snacks and drinks.
Sign up to donate for fall conferences at : http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d44afac2aa4fa7-fall4
- Family Fun Night Planning Meeting- 6pm- Monday, November 6th
- PTO Meeting: 7pm-Monday, November 6th, with special guest speaker, Waukee Superintendent Cindi McDonald
For more information please “like” our Waukee Elementary PTO Facebook page.
Waukee Foundation Food Drive
The Waukee Schools Foundation Food Drive started this week, and goes through November 17th. It’s the largest drive that supports our local food pantry. The pantry feeds about 200 families each month…this number is up 30% from last year! Your support is very much appreciated by the Dallas County families in need.
While all food items are welcome, Waukee Elementary has been asked to focus on the following items – individually packed snacks – fruit cups, granola/breakfast bars, cereal cups, beef sticks, canned meals, drink boxes. Monetary donations are also accepted via RevTrak.
The grade level that brings in the most food earns an extra recess! Please send the food with your child anytime through November 17th.
Square 1 Art
Square 1 Art is a wonderful fundraiser that celebrates your child’s artwork along with helping our school. This fundraiser takes your child’s artwork and makes it into great products for you to purchase if you choose. These products are wonderful keepsakes and gifts for family and friends. Your child has been busy making beautiful artwork that can be made into many fun products such as magnets, water bottles, iPad/iPhone cases, ornaments and much more!
- The product catalog was sent home October 26th. You will be able to see your child’s artwork on the front cover and on the FREE set of stickers for you to keep.
- Online Ordering ONLY by logging in at www.square1art.com using your child’s access code found on the catalog. No paper orders will be accepted.
- Order deadline is Wednesday November 8th. Approximate product distribution will be December 4th sent home with your child.
With questions contact Kasey Moon, Waukee Elementary Art Teacher, email@example.com
Waukee Elementary’s Basketball Night!
Save the date: Tuesday, Janurary 9th
Waukee vs. Valley at WHS Field House
Ticket deals & half time activities for all W.E. students
National Anthem sung by W.E.’s 5th Grade Chorus
Waukee 2nd High School Updates
Visit 2ndhs.waukeeschools.org for information regarding planning and progress for Waukee’s 2nd High School