Construction Update: December 2017
Elementary #9- Radiant
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Masonry block walls are mostly complete with exterior brick installation underway
- Underground utilities are on-going, as is structural steel and roof deck installation.
- Floors are being poured throughout the building.
- Approve Change Order #3 – (add) 4 items, a combination of owner requests and City requirements in the amount of $16,339.00 (Action Item).
- Working with Commercial Appraisers of Iowa on an appraisal.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- The design process has shifted to DD (Design Development) – meetings with staff continue.
- Planning with the City in on-going – site work, road construction and 28E agreement(s) are the main topics.
- CNC (Commercial New Construction) meetings with the design team, the Weidt Group, MidAmerican Energy and district staff continue.
- Working with the GC on a solution to close out the project where the District would self-perform the remaining seeding in the spring.
- City is scheduling their training on the fueling software in the next couple of weeks.
High School- Main Entry remodel
- Last piece of fire rated glazing has been installed
- Construction portion of this project is complete
- A few pieces of additional furniture have been ordered.
- Still waiting on GC and architect to submit a plan for resolution
- Follow-up meeting with the council next week to discuss districts’ next step.
- Contracts have been signed and new unit has been ordered
- Work is tentatively scheduled for the middle of April
- All district office staff will be relocated during this project – duration is approx. 1 week.
WMS North RTU
- Bid date was 11/30/17 at 2pm
- Approve Low Bidder – Two Rivers Group in the amount of $574,600. (Action Item)
- Work includes a new rooftop unit, new ductwork and ceilings in all affected rooms and corridors. Additionally, we will be replacing all classroom lighting fixtures with new LED technology.
District Radio System
- We’ve been working with Electronic Engineering to design a district-wide radio system that will allow simultaneous communication with all buildings
- District staff has reviewed proposal and are ready to proceed