Construction Update: January 2018
Elementary #9- Radiant
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Exterior brick installation approx. 70-75% complete.
- Underground utilities are on-going, as is bar-joist and roof deck installation.
- Floors are being poured throughout the building.
- Interior stud-wall framing is underway.
- Appraisal is complete – follow up meeting with developer occurred to discuss potential development agreement and associated costs
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- DD (Design Development) is in full swing as meetings with staff continue.
- Planning with the City in on-going as are the CNC (Commercial New Construction) meetings with the design team, the Weidt Group, MidAmerican Energy and district staff.
- No updates from last month.
- City has started inputting their fleet information into the system.
- Meeting with frk took place on 12/22/17. It was productive and informative, District hoping for resolution in the next 30 days.
- Work is tentatively scheduled for the middle of April.
- All district office staff will be relocated during this project – duration is approx. 1 week.
WMS North RTU
- Work includes a new rooftop unit, new duct work and ceilings in all affected rooms and corridors. Additionally, we will be replacing all classroom lighting fixtures with new LED technology. This project will take place over summer break 2018.
District Radio System
- Equipment has arrived and coordination meetings with Electronic Engineering and district staff will take place this month with full implementation scheduled for February.