Eason Flier 2/2/2018
IOWA ASSESSMENT TESTING, GRADES 3, 4 & 5
Eason third, fourth and fifth graders will be taking the Iowa Assessments on February 6, 7 and 8. It is important for students to get plenty of sleep this week, eat well-balanced meals, including a hearty breakfast. You may send water with your student to stay hydrated during the testing periods. We are also hoping that routine appointments can be rescheduled to avoid missing class during these three days.
To give a greater flexibility in scheduling Parent/Teacher Conferences, Eason Elementary has now made conference scheduling available via the internet. From February 6 through February 20, parents will have the opportunity to access Eason teachers’ conference schedules and pick an available time that best fits their schedule.
If parents have not made an appointment by February 20, teachers will make an appointment for the student and notify parents in a take-home note prior to conferences.
If you do not have access to the internet at home or at work, you may use a computer at our district office at 560 SE University, Waukee. Alternatively, you may use a computer at the public library.
The following simple instructions are necessary to help you to select an available time and create an appointment.
Step-By-Step Parent/Guardian Instructions
- Visit the Eason page of the Waukee Community Schools website and select the Online Scheduler icon/link. (near the bottom of the page)
- From the Online Scheduler Home Page
- Choose your student’s school from the drop down list and click “GO”
- Enter the school password: Eason (remember this for future scheduling)
- Enter your student’s “Student ID”. If you do not know their Student ID, use the LOOKUP STUDENT ID button to access the system.
- Verify the student’s birth date
- A list of your student’s teachers will be displayed. Check the box next to the name of each teacher(s) you would like to meet with.
- If you have more than one student in the school you can see all of your students’ teachers’ schedules at one time by answering YES to this question “Do you want to schedule conferences for another student?” then repeat the steps above for your other students. If you only have one student, answer NO to that question.
- You will then see the available time slots for each teacher you selected.
- Select the times that work best for your schedule.
- Enter your email address (recommended) if you would like an email reminder sent to you. (Your email address is kept private.)
- Once you have finished you can confirm your appointment details and print your conference schedule.
- Write down the Confirmation Number (you will need this number if you need to change or cancel your appointment)
You will find this is an easy way to make and change appointments. Please take full advantage of the system. As in past years, it is Waukee Community Schools’ policy to hold only one conference per student.
Best regards, Clint Prohaska, Eason Principal
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING VALENTINE CARDS
Valentine’s parties will be held in each classroom on Wednesday, Feb. 14 from 2:30 to 3:25 p.m. When looking forward to classroom parties and the exchange of Valentine cards, there must be no individual candy/edible treats attached to them. These bulk candies are not individually labeled and they do not meet the requirements of the district allergy policy. Page 20 of the District Handbook states:
” No food or candy items will be allowed for distribution by students attached to Valentine cards at the Valentine Party. Students are welcome to bring cards and non-food items (such as pencils, stickers, etc.) if they choose.”
Thank you for your consideration with these policies, which are meant to ensure the safety of all students. There will be plenty of treats at each party.
VALENTINE PARTY VOLUNTEERS: Remember to contact Waukee Nutrition Department for your party treat needs. They offer a wide variety of cupcakes and cookies, and will be festive for Valentine’s Day! Orders are submitted on the district’s website under “Nutrition,” and must be ordered by 2/6/18.
EASON TECH FAIR
The Second Annual Eason Technology Fair will be held on Friday, March 2nd from 9:00-10:00 in the Eason library and computer lab. This optional event is for grades 3-5 only, and is intended to give students a way to display their technological talents. Space is limited to 50 projects. Of these 50 projects, five will be chosen to participate in the Central Iowa State Technology Fair held on May 8th at Iowa State University.
All interested students will be given a registration packet (linked below) containing project requirements and parent information. This packet must be completed and returned to Mr. Barrett no later than February 9th. Again, this is an optional project. Students are not required to participate. Please direct all questions to Mr. Barrett at email@example.com. The links below will provide more information.
DADDY DAUGHTER DANCE!
The After-Prom Committee will hold a Daddy Daughter Dance to help raise funds to support the 2018 party. Dads or Dad-like friends are invited to bring their favorite Valentine (ages 2-22) on February 17 to Prairieview School, 655 SE University, Waukee, IA from 6-7:30 p.m. The cost to attend the dance is $30 per couple with an additional $10 fee for each additional daughter. Register online using RevTrak, https://waukee.revtrak.net/daddy-daughter-dance/
CONTINUE COLLECTING BOX TOPS!
Please continue collecting Box Tops for Education for Eason. There is a submission deadline coming up at the end of February. So, now is a great time to gather all of those box tops and send them in. Box Tops can be dropped off in the office or given to your child’s teacher anytime. Thank you!
Parents of children turning 5 on or before 9/15/18 may begin the kindergarten registration process now. Required documentation can be dropped off at our district office (560 SE University Ave.). These documents are:
- Proof of Residency
- Proof of child’s birth
- Copy of current immunization record
- Home Language Survey (form available online)
The online registration portal will open March 5. Only families who have turned in all required paper documents will be able to complete the online registration. If you have friends or neighbors within the Eason boundaries with an incoming kindergartener, please share this information with them.
Eason will have a Kindergarten Information Night for students who have completed online registration on Monday, April 30 from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Students will have the opportunity to visit a kindergarten room and listen to a story, participate in a craft activity, and enjoy group games and/or songs. While the future kindergarteners are involved in the classrooms, the parents will be able to gather together to listen to important kindergarten details from our principal, Mr. Clint Prohaska.
WAUKEE FOUNDATION ANNUAL DINNER & AUCTION: A NIGHT IN HOLLYWOOD!!
Waukee Community School District (WCSD) families: you’re invited to join us on February 24, 2018 for the Waukee Foundation’s Annual Dinner & Auction at Noah’s Event Center in West Des Moines. This energetic, informal night out is the perfect way to show your support for our growing school district. A wide variety of food and beverages will be served as you make your way through our display of silent auction items. Towards the end of the evening, an exciting live auction will be sure to create some fun memories!
Since 1996 the Foundation has contributed more than $500,000 to the WCSD by providing grants for innovative technology for classrooms, professional development and continuing education for our teachers and faculty, as well as donating 30% of it’s net proceeds to the Scholarship Fund to graduating seniors which has granted more than $300,000 in scholarships in the last five years alone. The Foundation’s primary fundraiser is the Annual Dinner & Auction. This year we need YOUR help to continue to support our rapidly growing school district!
DATES TO REMEMBER
- Feb. 5 – 3rd Grade Music Concert – 6:30 p.m. WHS Auditorium
- February 6 – Parent Window opens to sign up for Conferences
- Feb 6-8 – IA Assessents for grades 3 through 5
- Feb. 7 – Early Dismissal – 1:40 p.m.
- Feb. 14 – Valentine’s Parties 2:30 – 3:25 p.m.
- Feb. 19 – 2nd Grade Music Concerts – EE Gym (Mrs. Umphress & McDermott at 6:00 p.m., Mrs. Weiss & Mrs. Eighmy at 7:00 p.m.)
- Feb. 20 – Parent Window closes for Conference Sign-up
- Feb. 21 – Early Dismissal – 1:40 p.m.
- Feb. 22 – 2nd grade Field Trip to Science Center
- Feb. 23 – No School – Teacher Work Day
- Mar. 2 – Eason Tech Fair (3rd – 5th graders)
- Mar. 3 – 8 Conferences
- Mar. 7 – Early Dismissal – 1:40 p.m.
- Mar. 12 – 16 – No School/Spring Break
- Mar. 21 – Early Dismissal – 1:40 p.m.
- Mar. 26 – PTO Meeting – 7:00 p.m.
- April 4 – Early Dismissal – 1:40 p.m.