Construction Update: March 2018
Trash/Recycle collection RFP – district will be issuing an RFP for trash and recycling collection on Monday, March 19 with bids due on Monday, April, 2nd. Board will be asked to take action at the April 9th
Turf replacement – district is working with frk to develop a specification for bidding turf replacement at the Stadium. Work is scheduled for the summer of 2018.
Elementary #9- Radiant
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Exterior brick installation is mostly complete as is structural steel, bar-joist and roof decking.
- Interior stud-wall framing and window installation are on-going.
- Hanging drywall along with electrical and plumbing rough-ins are underway.
- The purchase agreement has been reviewed by landowner/developer and their changes have been accepted by our legal counsel.
- Staff recommends approval of purchase agreement at the next scheduled meeting.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- DD (Design Development) meetings are mostly complete.
- Planning/coordination with the City is on-going.
- Frk now moves into the CD (Construction Document) phase.
- Coordination with Bishop related to the grading is nearing completion with tentative bid date for this phase of work to take place in April.
- All parties have signed the agreement and work is to be completed by June 1st.
- Work is scheduled to begin on April 13th and complete on April 20th.
- All district office staff will be relocated to VMLC during the project.
WMS North RTU
- Pre-construction meeting scheduled for the week of 3/19.
- Work includes a new rooftop unit, new duct work and ceilings in all affected rooms and corridors.
- Additionally, we will be replacing all classroom and hallway lighting fixtures with new LED technology. This project will take place over summer break 2018.
District Radio System
- Equipment installation is complete.
- Testing of new radios will begin the week on 3/19.