Waukee Girls and Boys Track Teams Shine At State
The Waukee High School (WHS) Girls captured their third straight state title and sixth in the last ten years, running away from the rest of the 4A field, winning by 46 points. The 122 points scored by the Warriors broke the state meet record that WHS had set a year ago.
The girls won three relays and placed second in each of the other four relays. They also won two individual events, placed in 15 of the 19 events competed and brought home a total of 40 state meet medals during the three day meet. On Thursday, May 17, the 4x800m relay team of Lily Campbell, Jessica Caraway, Megan Groathouse and Logan Akason ran the second-fastest time in state history (9:09.34) and repeated as state champs. On Friday, May 18, junior Kat Moody won the Shot Put. On Saturday, May 19, the relay team of Janjay Peters, Sydney Winger, Anna Keplinger and Addie Drees blazed to another Shuttle Hurdle Relay title, also running the second-fastest time in state history. Winger followed with a victory in the 100-meter hurdles winning in a State Meet record time of 14.12. Delaney Taylor, Janjay Peters, Jessica Caraway and Lily Campbell capped off the meet with a win in the 4×400 meter relay.
A close 4A boys competition came down to the last event. WHS finished fourth, falling short of the team title by just 9 points. It was a complete team effort for the boys as well, as they placed in 9 events. WHS recorded another Shuttle Hurdle Relay victory when Nolan Roethler, Tyler Williams, Jackson Payne and Asher Hutchison won in a time of 57.17. The 4x400m relay team of Roethler, Aaron McCrary, Sam Yeaway and Zach Eaton placed third in a school record time of 3:17.37. It was also the fifth fastest time ever run in Iowa.
Two school record individual performances were also highlights for the Warriors. Junior Sam Yeaway placed third in the 400m dash in a school record time of 48.60. Nolan Roethler etched his name in the WHS record book with a runner-up finish in the 400 hurdles in a time of 52.73. His time is currently the fourth fastest high school time in the country. Owen Minshall placed third in the High Jump with a jump of 6 ‘7” and Zach Morrison’s personal record throw of 172’2” placed fourth in the Discus. The Warriors also placed in the 4x200m and both the Sprint and Distance Medley relays.
WHS also claimed their first-ever Wheelchair State Championship. Freshman Evan Correll won the Wheelchair 100 and 200-meter races and added second-place finishes in the Shot Put and 400 meters. His combined point total of 36 points was enough to defeat the Southeast Polk team of Matthew Shultz and Owen McDaniel for the State Championship.
Girls’ medal winners:
- 1st Place – 4×800: Campbell, Caraway, Groathouse, Akason: 9:09.34
- 1st Place – 4×400: Taylor, Peters, Caraway, Campbell (Benson): 3:53.21
- 1st Place – Shuttle Hurdle: Peters, Winger, Keplinger, Drees: 1:01.09
- 1st Place – 100 Hurdles: Sydney Winger: 14.12
- 1st Place – Shot Put: Kat Moody: 44’7.5”
- 2nd Place – 4×100: Karunatilaka, Winger, Vojic, Taylor: 48.26
- 2nd Place – 4×200: Karunatilaka, Winger, Taylor, Vojic: 1:41.85
- 2nd Place – Sprint Medley: Karunatilaka, Taylor, Vojic, Campbell: 1:47.22
- 2nd Place – Distance Medley: Karunitalaka, Schlicher, Caraway, Akason: 4:04.96
- 2nd Place – 800m Run: Lily Campbell: 2:12.11
- 3rd Place – 100m Dash: Elma Vojic: 11.88
- 3rd Place – Discus: Kat Moody: 129’6”
- 4th Place – 1500m Run: Logan Akason: 4:44.17
- 4th Place – 800m Run: Logan Akason: 2:14.08
- 6th Place – 3000m Run: Sydney Schaffer: 10:33.4
- 6th Place – 1500m Run: Sydney Schaffer: 4:48.07
- 6th Place – High Jump: Carly Boss: 5’3”
- 8th Place – 3000m Run: Peyton Kelderman: 10:41.5
Boys’ Medal winners:
- 1st Place – Shuttle Hurdle: Roethler, Williams, Payne, Hutchison: 57.17
- 1st Place – Wheelchair 100: Evan Correll: 18.23
- 1st Place – Wheelchair 200: Evan Correll: 36.53
- 2nd Place – WC Shot Put: Evan Correll: 18’3”
- 2nd Place – Wheelchair 400: Evan Correll: 1:15.89
- 2nd Place – 400m Hurdles: Nolan Roethler: 52.73
- 3rd Place – 4×400: Roethler, McCrary,Yeaway, Eaton: 3:17.32
- 3rd Place – High Jump: Owen Minshall: 6’7”
- 3rd Place – 400m Dash: Sam Yeaway: 48.60
- 4th Place – Discus: Zach Morrison: 172’2”
- 6th Place – 400m Dash: Zach Eaton: 49.90
- 6th Place – 200m Dash: SamYeaway: 48.60
- 8th Place – Sprint Medley: Hicks-Jumper, Moore, Eaton, Yeaway: 1:33.11
- 8th Place – Distance Medley: Hicks-Jumper, Moore, Eaton, Reitsma: 3:32.44
- 8th Place – 4×200: Hicks-Jumper, Moore, Roethler, Espeland: 1:29.67