Construction Update: June 2018
Turf replacement – Final rendering of the field will be approved this week – project timeline to follow.
High School parking expansion – Pre-con meeting was held on 5/24. Project to start the week of 6/11.
Elementary #9- Radiant
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Interior painting and ceiling grid install are on-going.
- Floors slabs are approx. 90% complete.
- Mechanical equipment is being set.
- Above ceiling rough-ins for plumbing, electrical and duct-work are on-going.
- Final grading of east portion of site and pouring of south drive as weather permits.
- Bishop is finalizing grading/drainage with neighbor to the north. On schedule to close on or about July 1st.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- DD (Design Development) meetings are mostly complete.
- Planning/coordination with the City is on-going.
- frk has moved into the CD (Construction Document) phase with certain parts of the building.
- Pre-con meeting for grading scheduled for 6/8.
- Work is tentatively scheduled to be begin the week of 6/18.
- Work in underway with completion scheduled for 6/15.
- Project is complete.
WMS North RTU
- Work has begun.
- All ceilings have been demo’d and old RTU has been removed.
- New unit to be installed early next week.
- New duct work installation to begin the week of 6/11.
District Radio System
- Rollout of new radios to buildings is mostly complete.
- New radios for building administrators along with training will be done over summer break.