Shuler Scoop – November 19, 2018
Welcome to Shuler!
This is our shortest week of the year, but there is a lot going on. Our 5th grade is very busy with their Shuler Mall and BizTown is right around the corner. We are also very busy preparing for our Shuler Leader in Me Family Night. That will take place on Tuesday, December 11th from 5:00-7:00. It will be a great opportunity for our families to visit Shuler and learn more about our Leader in Me process. More information to follow.
We all have many things to be thankful for. Enjoy the break and the time you get to spend with your family.
Dream Wonder Shine
Joel T. Fey
Student absence/dismissal changes, etc:
- Will your student(s) be late to school or leaving school early? If yes, please be sure to email the teacher and secretary (email@example.com) to let them both know. Also, please call the attendance line to notify the office at 515-987-8597, option 1.
- Will your student be missing school due to being out of town or vacation? If yes, please email the teacher and secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) to let them both know. Also please call the attendance line to notify the office at
515-987-8597, option 1.
- Who do I let know of a dismissal change? If it’s before 12:00pm, please email the teacher and secretary (email@example.com) with the change. After 12:00pm, please notify the secretary either via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the attendance line at 515-987-8597, option 1.
In case of your teacher not being at school and the substitute not receiving emails, it’s always best to call the attendance line in addition to the emails for any reason your student(s) will be gone from school.
Winter Warmth Drive:
Thank you to everyone who donated to the Shuler Winter Warmth Drive. It was a huge success! As a school, we collected 85 coats, 27 pairs of snow pants, 26 pairs of boots, 112 pairs of gloves, 144 hats, 27 scarves, and 2 blankets. All of the items donated are going to local non-profit organizations and schools for students in need. Thank you so much for your generosity!
Shuler Giving Tree:
Thank you to all Shuler families for your generosity in helping families through our Shuler Giving Tree.
All gifts may be returned to the tree in the main Shuler office anytime between now and December 7th. Please be sure they are wrapped and have the gift tag attached to the outside of the gifts. This helps us to ensure the gifts are delivered to the correct families. Thank you again for your giving spirit!
Daily Building Schedule:
K-5 Daily Schedule:
- 8:25 a.m. — Students eating breakfast may enter building
- 8:35 a.m. — All students may enter building
- 8:50 a.m. — Tardy bell
- 3:40 p.m. — Dismissal time
We ask that parents refrain from dropping off their children at school before 8:35 a.m. Students should not be on school grounds and may not enter the building before 8:35 a.m., unless they are eating breakfast at school. If your child is participating in the school breakfast program, he/she may enter the building at 8:25 a.m. and proceed directly to class at 8:35 a.m. There is no supervision for your children prior to 8:35 a.m. (exception is the breakfast program) and after 3:45 p.m. Please be timely in dropping off and picking up your child. Students will not be allowed to wait in the office area for any extended period of time prior to or after school dismissal. Please make alternate arrangements when these circumstances occur. Please refer to the Elementary Handbook, under Building Schedule, for more information.
Lunch with Students:
Would you like to join your student for lunch? Here are the lunch times for each grade level:
|Shuler Lunch Schedule|
We encourage and invite you to eat lunch with your child at school sometime during the year. You may pay for your lunch as you go through the lunch line using your child’s nutrition account or in cash with exact change or small bills. The cost for guest lunch is $3.65. If you bring lunch from a restaurant for you and/or your child, we ask that you not eat in the lunchroom with the other students. Please inform your child’s teacher of your plan to bring a “special” lunch ahead of time, and he/she will arrange for you and your child to eat privately in the classroom or in the pod area of their classroom. We ask for your cooperation in this request out of fairness to all students to prevent hurt feelings or resentment from others unable to have the same opportunity. Please refer to the Elementary Handbook, under Nutrition Services, for more information.
Notes from Nurse Chris:
Hearing Tests: Hearing is very important to a student’s ability to listen, learn, and progress satisfactorily in school. A hearing loss may also indicate a possible health problem. For these reasons, we take a special interest in the hearing ability of all students and periodically test their hearing.
The following students will receive a hearing screening by the audiometrist: those in preschool, kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th grades.
SCREENING: 11/27, 28, 29 & 30/2018 @ 9 AM
RETEST: 12/10/2018 @ 9 AM
On the retest date, students who failed the screening or were missed on the screening dates as well as any new students will be tested. Teachers, along with the principal and school nurse will be given information following the retest date, which will summarize the testing. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your school nurse or the audiologist who serves your building.
Your audiometrist is Patty Froehle phone # 515-270-9030 x. 14411
Your audiologist is Beth Sunds phone # 515-993-4596 x. 11258
Snacks and Treats
- No snacks or treats that contain peanuts/tree nuts or that are made in a facility that uses peanuts/tree nuts in its manufacturing will be allowed at Shuler.
- All items need to be in a sealed package with an intact label.
- No bakeries in the area are peanut/tree nut free. The only baked items allowed are from the Waukee bakery and can be ordered online. The site is under the nutrition heading on the Waukee website.
- Please remind your student that no food items are to be consumed on the bus.
- You may purchase fresh baked cookies, cupcakes, donuts, fresh fruit/vegetables, individual packaged snack products, etc. from Waukee Nutrition Services through RevTrak.
- More information about classroom treats is available on the district website, waukeeschools.org.
- A student is allowed to return to school if they are: 24 hours fever free without medications and/or 24 hours since last time vomiting or last diarrhea episode
- A student may be excused from recess for 2 days with parent permission, after that a Dr. excuse is required.
- Please make sure all emergency contacts are updated in PowerSchool.
- Remember that the best defense against germs is hand washing!
Where do I drop off and pick up my student? The front circle drive as long as you stay in your vehicle. If you are coming into the school, please park in the parking lot and escort your child into the school. If you are exiting your car to wait for your student on the sidewalk, you must park in the parking lot.
If my student is going to miss school, who do I call? Call the attendance line at 515-987-8597, option 1, for any illness, appointment or any other reason for absence. If you prefer to email, please send it to the Teacher(s), Secretary (email@example.com) and Beyond the Bell (if applicable).
I’d like to volunteer in my child’s classroom, what do I need to do? First, complete the Online Volunteer Form if you haven’t already done so this current school year. All volunteers must complete the form every school year before they can volunteer. Work with your child’s teacher to find out if they have any volunteer needs. Bringing siblings to volunteer is discouraged, as their presence becomes a distraction to learning. When coming into volunteer, stop by the front office to receive your visitor/volunteer sticker, and return the sticker to the secretary before leaving Shuler.
Can I eat lunch with my student? Yes! If you plan to join your child for lunch, please call the office before 9:30 am to be included in our daily lunch count if you are purchasing a school lunch. You may pay for your lunch as you go through the lunch line using your child’s nutrition account or in cash with the exact change or small bills. Cost for adult lunch is $3.65.
Can my child distribute birthday invitations at school? No, birthday invitations are not allowed to be distributed at school. We also can not address or send out invitations for you, and cannot provide family information of other students in the school.
Can I send flowers or balloons to my child at school? No, please do not have flowers or balloons delivered to school for your child. If delivered to school, they will not be given to your child until dismissal time.
Where can I order classroom treats for my student? You may purchase fresh baked cookies, cupcakes, donuts, fresh fruit/vegetables, individual packaged snack products, etc. from Waukee Nutrition Services through RevTrak. Their department is “peanut/tree nut aware”. More information about classroom treats can be found on the district website, www.waukeeschools.org.
I’d like to sign my child up for a Community Education class, who do I contact? You can register on the Community Education page on our Waukee Schools website, https://www.waukeeschools.org/commed/. If you have questions, you can reach them at 515-987-2761.
Follow Shuler Elementary on Social Media!
Notes from PTO:
- PTO Meeting – November’s PTO meeting date is Tuesday, November 27th. Meeting will be from 6-7pm in the Shuler library.
- Miners’ Mile – The date has been set for our 2019 Miners’ Mile. Please mark your calendars for Friday, April 12th (rain date will be Friday, April 19th) and plan to come support our students as they run our Miners’ Mile. More details will come closer to the run!
Fine Arts Dates/Band Solo Night
- Kindergarten: Thursday, April 11, 2019 @ Shuler – 6:00 & 7:00 pm
- 1st Grade: Thursday, February 28, 2019 @ Shuler – 6:00 & 7:00 pm
- 3rd Grade: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 @ Waukee High School – 6:00 pm
- 4th Grade: Monday, December 3, 2018 @ Waukee High School – 7:15 pm
- 5th Grade: Friday, December 14, 2018 @ Shuler – 2:30 pm
- 5th Grade: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 @ Waukee High School – 6:00 pm
- Band Solo Night: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 @ Shuler – Time TBD
Dates to Remember:
- November 21-23rd – No school/Thanksgiving Holiday
- November 27th – Shuler PTO Meeting, 6-7pm, Shuler Library
- December 5th – Early Out, Dismissal at 1:40 pm
- December 11th – Shuler Leader in Me Family Night, 5:00-7:00 pm
- December 19th – Early Out, Dismissal at 1:40 pm
- December 24 – January 1st – No School, Winter Break
- January 2nd – School Resumes
- January 9th – Early Out, Dismissal at 1:40 pm
- January 14th – No school/Teacher Workday
- January 21st – No school/Martin Luther King Jr holiday
- January 23rd – Early Out, Dismissal at 1:40 pm