Students may begin their elective Band experience in 5th grade.
Band Philosophy Statement
The Waukee Band Program provides all students with opportunities to develop lifelong appreciation of music, take ownership over their own accomplishments, and contribute to something larger than themselves.
Standards, Benchmarks, Objectives (SBO)
In 2019, the Waukee Community School District General Music team began work unpacking the National Coalition of Core Arts Standards. 2020 served as a complete pause due to the pandemic. Work was completed by members of the General Music team in the 2021-22 school year.
More information will be posted following Board approval of the updated curriculum.
Waukee Band SBOs (TBA)
Elementary & Middle Level (Grades 5-9) Courses
- 5th Grade Band
- 6th Grade Band
- 7th Grade Band
- 6th & 7th Grade Band Basics – South Middle School only
- 8th Grade Band
- 9th Grade Band
High School (Grades 10-12) Courses
- Symphonic (WHS) / Concert (NWHS) Band – Marching Band is a unit of this year-long course
- Wind Symphony (WHS & NWHS) – Marching Band is a unit of this year-long course
- Band / Music (WHS & NWHS)
- Marching Band – Color Guard only – available to Color Guard members who are not instrumentalists in curricular Band
- Music History / Theory