Waukee Community School District uses a notification system called SchoolMessenger. SchoolMessenger is a fully hosted notification platform used to connect parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email. Currently, this system is used for building-level, nutrition negative balance, busing and emergency messages. An emergency notification could include, but not limited to, messages about school closings or delays due to inclement weather or other emergency situations that may arise during school hours.
Student contact information is collected from parents/guardians during registration and imported into PowerSchool. If your contact information has changed, you will need to contact your building secretary to have this information updated in PowerSchool. While there is no “list” to sign up for, in order to receive an SMS text, the “opt-in” process must be completed on each cell phone you would like to receive SMS text message.
How to “opt-in” and receive SchoolMessenger Text Notifications
- Parents/guardians/students/staff can subscribe by texting one of the keywords: Y, Yes or Subscribe to 67587. The cell phone numbers used must be in PowerSchool to receive a notification.
- Parents/guardians/students/staff can unsubscribe at any time by texting the keywords: Quit, Remove or Unsubscribe to 67587. Parents/guardians/students/staff can opt-in and opt-out as many times as necessary.
- Completing the opt-in process does not mean you will immediately start receiving text messages. It simply means that you have indicated your willingness to receive messages from the SchoolMessenger service. Cell phone numbers must be in PowerSchool to receive a notification from Waukee Community School District.
- There is no fee from Waukee Community School District and/or SchoolMessenger for SMS text messages, however, recipients may be charged for receiving district messages depending on the type of monthly plan they have with their wireless provider.
- If you would like to add a new cell phone number to your contact information in PowerSchool, please contact your building secretary.
Website (waukeeschools.org): Emergency messages and updates will be posted on the district homepage as they develop.
Facebook & Twitter (@WaukeeCSD): Messages will be posted as quickly as possible to our Facebook page and Twitter account.
Local news media: When appropriate, we will make information available to local television and radio stations and will enlist their assistance in communicating with our audiences.