Student Directory Information
The Waukee Community School District has adopted a policy designed to assure parents and students the full implementation, protection and enjoyment of their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. A copy of the school district’s policy is available for review in the office of the principal of all of our schools.
This law requires the school district to designate as “student directory information” any personally identifiable information taken from a student’s educational records prior to making such information available to the public.
The school district has designated the following information as directory information: student’s name, photo or likeness, audio files, video recordings, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received.
You have the right to refuse the designation of directory information with respect to your student. Any student over the age of eighteen or parent not wanting this information released to the public must make an objection in writing by completing the below FERPA form and submitting it to their building principal by September 15. This objection to the release of directory information must be renewed
This is an all or nothing policy. Objection to the release of student directory information means exclusion from all school or media publications. Examples of school or media publications include, but are not limited to:
- A playbill showing a student’s role in a drama production
- Annual school yearbook
- Honor roll or other recognition lists
- Graduation programs
- Sports activity sheets such as for wrestling, showing weight and height of team members
- Newspaper articles or television news stories
- Photos, podcasts, videos or information posted on the district website
- Athletic or activity team photos or class photos
- Website articles
If you have no objections to the use of student directory information, you do not need to take any action.
- Policy 506.2 – Student Directory Information
- Parental Objection to Releasing Student Directory Information