Closing & Delays
In the event that severe weather conditions dictate the need to delay the beginning of school or cancel school entirely, the following procedures will be used:
- The superintendent and chief operating officer (COO) monitor weather forecasts.
- Prior to 5 a.m., the superintendent and members of the operation team drive the district routes to determine if travel is safe.
- Consultation occurs with Des Moines and other neighboring school systems.
- In consultation with the COO and/or the superintendent, a decision is normally made by no later than 5:30 a.m. to delay the beginning of the school day by one hour or two hours, or to cancel school.
- If the decision is made to delay the beginning of the school day, conditions may change enough to warrant cancellation. The decision to cancel school following a decision to delay will usually be made by 6:30 a.m. and no later than 7 a.m.
How families and staff are contacted:
We will use the following methods to communicate to families and staff during an emergency:
SchoolMessenger (email, text & phone): We will provide updated information as it becomes available to all parents and staff using the contact information in PowerSchool. SchoolMessenger fully integrates with PowerSchool, so there is no list for parents to sign up for, however, for parents to receive a text message parents must complete the opt-in process.
How to “opt-in” and receive SchoolMessenger Text Notifications
- Parents/guardians/students/staff can subscribe by texting one of the keywords: Y, Yes or Subscribe to 67587. The cell phone numbers used must be in PowerSchool to receive a notification.
- Parents/guardians/students/staff can unsubscribe at any time by texting the keywords: Quit, Remove or Unsubscribe to 67587. Parents/guardians/students/staff can opt-in and opt-out as many times as necessary.
- Completing the opt-in process does not mean you will immediately start receiving text messages. It simply means that you have indicated your willingness to receive messages from the SchoolMessenger service. Cell phone numbers must be in PowerSchool to receive a notification from Waukee Community School District.
- There is no fee from Waukee Community School District and/or SchoolMessenger for SMS text messages, however, recipients may be charged for receiving district messages depending on the type of monthly plan they have with their wireless provider.
- If you would like to add a new cell phone number to your contact information in PowerSchool, please contact your building secretary.
Website (waukeeschools.org): Emergency messages and updates will be posted on the district homepage as they develop.
Facebook & Twitter (@WaukeeCSD): Messages will be posted as quickly as possible to our Facebook page and Twitter account.
Local news media: When appropriate, we will make information available to local television and radio stations and will enlist their assistance in communicating with our audiences.