Closing & Delays
In the event that severe weather conditions dictate the need to delay the beginning of school or cancel school entirely, the following procedures will be used:
- The superintendent and chief operating officer (COO) monitor weather forecasts.
- Prior to 5 a.m., the superintendent and members of the operation team drive the district routes to determine safety of transportation.
- Consultation occurs with Des Moines and other neighboring school systems.
- In consultation with the COO and/or the Superintendent, a decision is normally made by no later than 5:30 a.m. to delay the beginning of the school day by one hour or two hours, or to cancel school.
- If the decision is made to delay the beginning of the school day, conditions may change enough to warrant cancellation. The decision to cancel school following a decision to delay will usually be made by 6:30 a.m. and no later than 7 a.m.
How families and staff are contacted:
Waukee Community School District uses a notification system called SchoolMessenger. SchoolMessenger is a fully hosted notification platform used to connect parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email and social media.
Waukee Community School District will be using SchoolMessenger for emergency and general notifications. This includes notifications such as building newsletters, bus updates, late starts or other emergency situations that may arise during or after school hours. SchoolMessenger fully integrates with PowerSchool, so there is no list for parents to sign up for, however, in order for parents to receive an SMS text parents must complete the “opt-in” process.
How to “opt-in” and receive SMS text notifications:
- Parents/guardians/students/staff can subscribe by texting one of the key words: “Y”, “Yes,” “Subscribe,” “Optin” or Opt In” to 67587. The cell phone numbers used must be in PowerSchool to receive a notification.
- Parents/guardians/students/staff can unsubscribe at any time by texting the key words: “Quit”, “Remove” or “Unsubscribe” to 67587. Parents/guardians/students/staff can opt-in and opt-out as many times as necessary.
- Opting in does not mean that you will immediately start receiving text messages. It simply means that you have indicated your willingness to receive messages from the SchoolMessenger service. Cell phone numbers must be in PowerSchool to receive a notification from Waukee Community School District.
- If you would like to add a new cell phone number to your contact information in PowerSchool, please contact your building secretary.
SchoolMessenger emergency notification frequently asked questions and answers can be viewed by clicking here.
If school must be cancelled, delayed or dismissed early due to weather conditions or other emergencies, announcements will be made on the following stations:
KCCI – Channel 8
WHO – Channel 13
WOI – Channel 5
WHO – 1040 AM
Other stations may be contacted as time permits.
Join the WCSD Bulletin email list to receive our monthly eNewsletter and Board Briefs.