Emergency Notification FAQs
Waukee Community School District (WCSD) will be using SchoolMessenger for emergency notifications. An emergency notification could include, but not limited to, messages about school closings or delays due to inclement weather or other emergency situations that may arise during school hours.
Why did the system call my phone, email and text me?
- When an emergency notification is sent, families will be contacted by voice call (phone), email and SMS text. Many families will receive all three types of notifications. This is to ensure all families are reached in the event of an emergency.
Why did I only receive one phone call?
- Inclement weather emergency notifications will only call the home/primary number listed in PowerSchool.
I updated my information in PowerSchool, but still did not receive a message.
- SchoolMessenger pulls data from PowerSchool nightly. This means it could be 24 hours before SchoolMessenger’s contact information is updated. If it has been longer than 24 hours and you still did not receive the notification please verify your information is correct in PowerSchool by emailing or calling your building secretary.
Do I have to be signed up for text to get an emergency notification?
- No. Families who choose not to receive SMS text notifications will be notified by voice call (phone) and email.
Why did my child receive a text?
- Student cell phone information can also be entered into PowerSchool. If the student has completed the “opt-in” process for their cell phone number they will also receive the emergency notification. If you would like to add a student’s cell phone number to PowerSchool, please contact your building secretary.
Will I be charged for an SMS Text message?
- There is no fee from Waukee Community School District and/or SchoolMessenger for SMS text messages, however, recipients may be charged for receiving district messages depending on the type of monthly plan they have with their wireless provider.
What if the text went to the wrong cell phone number?
- Do nothing with the text message. Subscribe to the system from the cell phone you would like to use by texting “subscribe” to 68453. You will then need to email or call your building secretary to update the new cell phone number in PowerSchool.
What if I did not receive a text message?
- Subscribe to the system from the cell phone you would like to use by texting “subscribe” to 68453. You will then need to email or call your building secretary to update the new cell phone number in PowerSchool.
When I text 68453 I receive a message cannot be sent error. What does this mean?
- This means your wireless carrier has not turned on the Short Code feature on your cell phone. To have this feature turned on you will need to contact your wireless provider. Short codes are simply 5 or 6 digit numeric numbers that are assigned to businesses who desire to send bulk SMS messages through the carrier’s networks. All messages sent through the system will display the short code as the sending number (not a 10-digit phone number as in the case of mobile-to-mobile messaging). To obtain a short code, companies must go through a rigorous approval process by every major wireless carrier that ensures that they abide by their policies for sending SMS messages. Once short code has been activated on your phone subscribe to the system from the phone you would like to use by texting “subscribe” to 68453. You will then need to email or call your building secretary to update the new cell phone number in PowerSchool.
I can’t see my contact information in PowerSchool, how do I know what is listed?
- Student contact information is collected from parents/guardians during registration. At this time, PowerSchool cannot display contact information in the parent portal. If you would like to verify your information please email or call your building secretary.
How do I unsubscribe from phone calls?
- Parents of current Waukee Community School District students cannot unsubscribe from phone calls. Because people by law have the ability to unsubscribe from emails and have to “Optin” to receive text messages, phone calls are the only way we can contact all families.
How will SchoolMessenger know who to contact?
- SchoolMessenger fully integrates with PowerSchool, so there is no list for parents to sign up for, however, in order for parents to receive an SMS text parents must complete the “opt-in” process. Subscribe to the system from the cell phone you would like to use by texting “subscribe” to 68453. You will then need to email or call your building secretary to update the new cell phone number in PowerSchool.