Waukee High School Hosts 2017 Suburb Art Show
Thirteen Waukee High School (WHS) students received Blue Merits, Honorable Mentions and Best of Show Awards at the 2017 Suburb Art Show on April 12. The show was hosted by WHS and featured 150 submissions in 23 categories from students at WHS, Ankeny Centennial, Dowling Catholic, Urbandale and Valley High School.
Up to 25 students from each school could submit two pieces of artwork per person. Diane Kunzler, local artist, educator and entrepreneur, had the difficult task of being the art show’s juror.
“When they announced that I had won Best in Show I was completely surprised. There was a lot of talent competing and it feels great to have been chosen as one of the best,” said senior Haleigh Anderson.
Mike Draper the creator of Raygun, a t-shirt business located downtown, spoke with the students to inspire with messages of hard work, creativity and relatability.
Waukee Students Recognized:
- Haleigh Anderson, Blue Merit in Oil/Acrylic/Tempera and 2D Best of Show
- Sarah Westholm, Blue Merit in Charcoal
- Ben Langel, Blue Merit in 3D
- Sarah Dombrosky, Blue Merit in Crafts/Fibers/Handmade Papers
- Emma Bolles, Blue Merit in Non-Ceramic Sculpture
- Haylie Kidd, Blue Merit in Altered Digital Photography
- Lanie Weber, Honorable Mention in Graphite
- Alyssa Burke, Honorable Mention in Mixed Media
- Braylan Couch, Honorable Mention in Computer Generated Art
- Kynlee Sheriff, Honorable Mention in Crafts/Fibers/Handmade Papers
- Lydia Nong, Honorable Mention in Ceramics
- Lucy Watters, Honorable Mention in 9th grade 3D
- Emma Nannen, 2nd Honorable Mention in 9th grade 2D