Open Enrollment is the process by which parents/guardians residing in an Iowa district may enroll their children into another Iowa school district under the terms and conditions of Iowa Code section 282.18 and 281–Iowa Administrative Code 17. The deadline for students entering Grades 1-12 is March 1. The deadline for students entering kindergarten is September 1.
Exceptions to the Open Enrollment Deadline
The following circumstances are considered “good cause” and are acceptable conditions for a timeline waiver IF the change occurred/began AFTER March 1 (281-IAC 17.4).
- Change in the family district of residence
- Change in the marital status of the student’s parents resulting in a change in the resident district
- Placement of the child in foster care resulting in a change of residence
- Participation in a foreign exchange program
- Participation in a substance abuse or mental health treatment program resulting in a change of residence
- Serious health need
- Pervasive Harassment
- Failure of district negotiations to reorganization or rejection of a proposed reorganization plan after March 1. Open enrollment request must be filed within 45 days of the last board action or within 30 days of certification of an election, whichever is applicable. This is only applicable to affected students.
- Failure of district negotiations for whole grade sharing or rejection of a whole grade sharing agreement after March 1. Open enrollment request must be filed within 45 days of last board action or within 30 days of certification of an election, whichever is applicable. This is only applicable to affected students.
- Loss of accreditation or permanent closure of a private school after March 1.