More than 85 employees work to provide a variety of nutritious and safe meals in an environment that is respectful of student and faculty needs.
Waukee Nutrition Services prepares and serves about 8,000 breakfasts and lunches daily. By the end of this school year, approximately 1.6 million meals will be served in the Waukee Community School District.
All school meals meet federal nutrition standards by offering fruits and vegetables, serving whole grain-rich foods, and limiting fat, calories, and sodium.
Our meals meet the new United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Nutrition Standards, which require the following:
- half the tray should be vegetables and fruits (1/2 cup servings of each)
- age-appropriate calorie servings
- a wide variety of vegetables, including dark green and red/orange vegetables and legumes
- fat-free flavored and unflavored, and plain 1% milk
- increasing whole-grain-rich products
- less sodium
- zero trans fats