Farm to School is a broad category of programming that can be tailored to a school’s specific needs. It can include serving local foods in the cafeteria, taste tests, field trips, classroom education, gardens, hands-on experiences and more.
Waukee Community School District received a Farm to School Planning grant from the USDA Food and Nutrition Service’s Office of Community Food Systems to create an action plan for how to best implement Farm to School in the district. The grant concluded in June 2021, and the District’s Action Plan for Farm to School work going forward is linked below. As result of the action plan, we have created a Farm to School Committee that meets in the morning once a month. If you are interested in serving on the committee or partnering with our programming, please email Kaitlyn Scheuermann, MPP-D, RDN, LD.
In July 2021, the district was awarded a USDA Farm to School Implementation Grant to continue its Farm to School efforts and expand upon the work accomplished in the Planning grant process.
Farm to School Committee Meeting Schedule
(All meetings are the second Tuesday of the month from 7:30-8:15 am unless noted otherwise)
- September 13th, 2022 – Location: Waukee Schools District Office
- October 11th, 2022 – Virtual
- November 8th, 2022 – Virtual
- December 13th, 2022 – Virtual
- January 10th, 2023 – Virtual
- February 14th, 2023 – Virtual
- March 7th, 2023 – Virtual
- April 11th, 2023 – Virtual
- May 9th, 2023 – Location: Waukee Schools District Office
- June 15-17, 2023 – Iowa Farm to School Conference and Community Food Systems Annual Event
- Thursday, June 15th: Community Food System Annual Event
- Friday, June 16th: Local Farm and Food Field Trips
- Saturday, June 17th: 2023 Iowa Farm to School and Early Care Conference
- July 25, 2023 (optional meeting) – tentatively 8-9 am