Applications for a minor school license can be picked up at Waukee District Office, 560 SE University Ave., Waukee, IA 50263.
Approval of a school permit does not guarantee a parking spot on school grounds.

StreetSmarts Drivers Education Classes

How do I get a minor school license?

  • Be at least 14 1/2 years old.
  • Complete an Iowa-approved driver education course (example: StreetSmarts).
  • Hold an instruction permit and a clean driving record for at least six consecutive months immediately before applying for your minor school license.
  • Live 1 mile or more from the school you are enrolled in.
  • Bring instruction permit to District Office, 560 SE University Ave, Waukee.
  • If you are a public school student, you must have your school associate superintendent and your parent or guardian sign the Affidavit for School License (form 430021) available at any driver’s license issuance site or online. If you are a student at an accredited nonpublic school (private school), you must have the authorities in charge of your school and your parent or guardian sign the Affidavit for School License (form 430021).
  • Along with providing your completed Affidavit for School License, you may be required to complete a driving test at the driver’s license issuance site.
  • Forms are available at District Office for families.

What do I bring with me to District Office?

  • Instructional Permit, issue date must be 6 months or longer.
  • Make sure your address is updated/current in PowerSchool.

What can I do with this license?

This license allows you to drive without adult supervision between the hours of 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. for the following:

  • Drive from your home to your school(s) of enrollment or school-sponsored activities using the most direct and accessible route. Public school students are limited to driving within the school district of enrollment or a contiguous district, and accredited nonpublic school students are limited to driving within a 50-mile driving distance. Activities must be at the school(s) you are enrolled in.
  • Drive to a school that is not your school of enrollment to participate in extracurricular activities. Activities must be in a contiguous (bordering) school district for public school students, or not more than 50 miles driving distance for private school students, and must be held at a site, facility, or school designated for the activity under a sharing agreement between schools or conducted at a site or facility that the school you are enrolled in has designated to accommodate extracurricular activities.
  • Drive to and from your home to the closest school bus stop.
  • Stop for fuel while on route or at the closest filling station off route.

What can I not do with this license?

  • You cannot use a cell phone, smartphone, tablet, or other electronic communication devices while driving.
  • You cannot carry more than one minor passenger that is not your relative when driving. A relative means a sibling living in your same home.
  • You cannot pick up other minors on your school route on your way to school.

What if I mess up?

  • Your license may be suspended if you are convicted of a traffic violation (including, but not limited to, speeding, reckless driving, failure to obey traffic signals), violate any of the restrictions on your license, or are involved in a crash you caused or contributed to.
    • First Offense: Your license may be suspended for 30 days, and you must pay a fee to reinstate your minor school license.
    • Second Offense: Your license will be revoked for 30 days, and you must pay a fee to reinstate to an instruction permit for six months before you are eligible for a minor school license.