Construction Update: August 2018
Elementary #9- Radiant
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. The building is expected to open in the fall of 2019.
- Painting, ceiling grid and casework installation are all on-going.
- Mechanical equipment startup is scheduled for September.
- Paving of parking areas and drives is complete.
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for the tenth elementary building at the April 9 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Waukee off Ashworth Road, west of Ute Ave/Hwy R22. The building is estimated to open fall 2022-23.
- Closing took place on 07/19/18.
- The construction schedule will be established this fall.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students in the classes of 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- CD (Construction Documents) are complete and on the street.
- Pre-bid meeting scheduled for 8/16/18 at 10:00 am with a bid date set for 9/13/18 at 2:00.
- Preliminary Grading – grading is complete along with construction access road.
- Work is mostly complete. Some exterior caulking remains – this will be complete by the end of the week.
- Project is complete!
- Turf was available to students starting on Sunday evening 8/5/18.
High School Parking Expansion
- All paving is complete as is final grading.
- Light poles and seeding remain – these will be completed prior to school starting.
WMS North RTU
- Work is mostly complete.
- Ceiling tiles and final cleaning remain.
District Radio System
- Agreement for access to Westcom is being reviewed by Ahlers and Electronic Engineering – should be ready for Board review/approval at first September meeting.