Formal Observation Process for Year 2 Initial Licensed Teachers
PDP (collaborative between teacher and evaluator)
Formative Monthly Meeting w/Peers
Progress in attendance center and individual goals Four 2 Minute Walk-Throughs
TWO Formal Evaluations
Essential 10 Components:
Annual Conference with Evaluator Summative Conference with Evaluator
PDP (from district website)
Prior to the Pre-observation Conference:
Prior to the Post-observation Conference:
Following the Post-observation Conference:
By April 30th, the principal will make one of the following recommendations to the Superintendent:
- The teacher has achieved all Basic level performance, or above, and should be offered a contract for the following year.
- The teacher has not achieved at a Basic level of performance, or above, in the essential 10 components and should not be offered a contract.
As part of the three-year cycle, the teacher shall develop an Individual Teacher Professional Development Plan. The purpose of the plan is to promote individual and group professional development. The plan shall be based on
- The needs of the teacher as identified in the Individual Teacher Professional Development Plan.
- The Iowa teaching standards
- The student achievement goals of the attendance center and the district as outlined in the comprehensive school improvement plan.
The teacher’s evaluator shall meet annually with the teacher to review progress in meeting the goals in the teacher’s individual plan. The teacher shall present evidence of progress. The purpose of the meeting shall be to
- Review the teacher’s progress in meeting professional development goals in the plan.
- Review collaborative work with other staff on district and attendance center academic and behavior goals (i.e. PLC’s, early dismissals, staff meetings, etc.)
- Modify, when necessary, the teacher’s individual plan to reflect the individual teacher’s, building’s and district’s needs and the individual’s progress in meeting the goals in the plan.
By the conclusion of the academic cycle, the principal and the teacher will meet for an Annual Conference.By April 30, based on the Annual Conference, the principal will make one of the following recommendations to the Superintendent:
- The teacher has demonstrated growth in the goal areas, as identified by the Individual Teacher Professional Development Plan (ITPDP), and has provided evidence to support that growth. In addition, the teacher has demonstrated growth in the building/district goals. No change is recommended to the teacher’s contract. 2. The teacher has not demonstrated or documented growth in all of the identified goal areas but is showing both a desire to grow and evidence to support that growth. No change is recommended to the teacher’s contract.
- The teacher has not shown progress in the goal areas of the ITPDP, as determined by the principal, and is therefore identified as needing assistance. This assistance may include but is not limited to additional observations, intensive coaching by the building principal or designee, the use of a peer coach, or specific staff development. A review of the teacher’s progress on the assistance plan will be scheduled.
- The teacher has been unable to meet the expected level of performance and has completed the assistance. A recommendation for termination of the contract will be made.