Teachers Plan Student Trip To Presidential Inauguration
Scott Blum and Ben Twigg, social studies teachers at Waukee High School, are working with a company called Worldstrides to take a group of students to Washington, DC to watch the presidential inauguration. Blum and Twigg will hold a parent meeting about the trip in room 407 on October 17 at 7:00 p.m.
Students who sign up for the trip will leave on Saturday, January 19 and return the evening of January 22. Students who attend the trip will only miss one day of school due to the teacher workday planned for January 21.
Any student grades 9-12 is welcome to attend the trip.
“This is an amazing opportunity to be a part of history and the democratic process. Students will get to visit a number of sights, meet important political leaders and be a part of a presidential inauguration,” Blum said. “We feel this is potentially a once in a lifetime experience and are thrilled to be able to lead a group of young people excited to be a part of this tremendous opportunity.”
The cost to attend the trip is $1,745 per student. This cost includes:
- Roundtrip airfare between Des Moines and Washington, DC.
- Three nights/four days in Washington, DC.
- Private motor-coach transportation for the duration of the trip.
- A personal Worldstrides tour guide for the duration of the trip.
- Security detail for the duration of the trip.
- All breakfast and dinner meals
- Admittance to all events, museums, etc. for the duration of the trip
Parents of students who are interested in attending this trip are encouraged to attend the parent meeting on October 17. At the meeting more information will be provided, parents will be able to ask questions and begin the registration process.