Class of 2013 – Senior Class Bulletin
We have provided the information below in order for graduation activities to proceed smoothly. Please contact Waukee High School (987-5163) should you have questions after reading this information.
- Students who have not successfully completed ALL graduation requirements will not participate in the graduation ceremony. All make-up work and incompletes must be completed by 3:15 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15, 2013.
- Diplomas will not be issued to any person having obligations with the school. Senior check out lists must be signed by all teachers you currently have for classes and activities, and returned to the principal’s office before your school obligation is relieved. Seniors not completing these requirements must be in attendance during regular school hours until all obligations are fulfilled.
- All seniors will attend graduation exercises and rehearsal unless you have permission from the principal. Please plan accordingly.
- The dates and times listed below is a summary of graduation activities. We ask that all members of the Class of 2013 to be in attendance and on time.
- Wednesday, April 17 – Graduation caps and gowns will be distributed at the high school by Herff-Jones from 7:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. Please contact the office if you have questions. (987-5163)
- Wednesday, May 15 – Baccalaureate exercises – 6:00 p.m. at the Waukee High School Auditorium. Baccalaureate is sponsored by the local ministerial association. This is an optional event; students are not required to attend.
- Wednesday, May 15 – Senior Awards & Scholarship Recognition – High School Auditorium at 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 15 – Last day for seniors who have completed all their obligations. The check-out process will begin May 13. The process must be completed to check-out. Wednesday is a regular day of classes.
- Friday, May 17 – Senior Picnic – 11:00 a.m. at Centennial Park.
- Monday, May 20 – Practice for commencement exercises at Drake University, Knapp Center at 10:00 a.m. Students will provide their own transportation. You must be in attendance.
- Monday, May 20 – Commencement: All seniors are to meet in the Bell Center at Drake University with cap and gown at 6:00 pm. When seniors arrive at the Bell Center, DO NOT leave the area. All seniors are to remain in the Bell Center until it is time to enter the Knapp Center. Each person will need every minute to get ready. Honor medallions and cords will be distributed at this time.
- The ceremony will start promptly at 7:00 p.m.
- The recessional will lead the graduates to the Bell Center to receive their diplomas. Only graduates will be allowed in the Bell Center.
- The High School Cube (Iowa) will be broadcasting live at 7:00 pm from this URL: http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/waukee-high-school-graduation-310411
Note 1: Ladies should wear dresses for the graduation ceremony. These should not show below the graduation gown. Gentlemen should wear dress pants with a collared-shirt and tie under their graduation gown. Shorts are not permitted. Appropriate shoes are expected; flip-flops are not to be worn.
Note 2: Caps are to be worn square – two fingers above the eyebrows. The tassel is worn on the right side before receiving the diploma. After all diplomas have been issued, the Board President will ask the Class of 2012 to move their tassels to the other side.
Note 3: Commencement at Drake University’s Knapp Center is free to the public. No tickets are required.
Directions to the Knapp Center:
- Take I-235 east to exit #6—31st Street in Des Moines. Be sure you have passed the 63rd Street and 42nd Street
- exits. There will be a sign just prior to the exit indicating Drake University.
- Exit at 31st Street and turn left (north). Continue north until you reach University Avenue.
- Turn right (east) at University and go approximately 6 blocks to 25th Street.
- Turn left (north) at 25th Street. Go three blocks and the Drake Knapp Center is located at the intersection of Forest and 25th. The Bell Center is attached to the northwest corner of the Knapp Center.
- Parking is available in Lot #1 (25th & Forest), Lot #2; Lot #3 (east side of Knapp Center); Lot #4 (north of Knapp Center)