Construction Update: September 2017
Elementary #9- Radiant
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building on May 9, 2016, Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Footings are complete.
- Masonry block walls are on-going as are underground utilities
- Structural steel erection is underway
- Turn lanes off 170th (Alice’s Rd.) for Plum Dr. and the main entrance will happen over the next several weekends – this is the only time the City of Urbandale will allow lane closures along this stretch of road
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014, meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Received updated paperwork on the outstanding 573 claim from Central Western Fabricators, final payment will not be made until this claim has been settled
- Remaining site-work and re-seeding will be done in the next 30 days
- Coordinating with the City to begin using the fueling system, aiming to be fully operational by the end of September.
- Approve Change Order #10 – (deduct), 4 items, combination of City and owner requests, plan omission and credit for concrete in the amount of $4,757.00 (Action Item)
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected the opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- Programming meetings with departments to begin in the next 30 days
- Meeting scheduled with the City for 9/8 to discuss next steps related to finalizing the master planning process
- Next steps are site design and coordination of work to begin next spring after successful bond referendum
- All equipment has been delivered
- Footings will be bored on 9/8 with steelwork to follow
- Coordination is underway with electrical contractor
- Mediation scheduled for Oct. 24th at Ahlers.