Construction Update: October 2017
Elementary #9- Radiant
Waukee Community School District approved a land purchase agreement for a ninth elementary building at the May 9, 2016 Board of Education Meeting. The new elementary school will be located in Urbandale west of Alice’s road between Meredith and Waterford. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2017, with the building opening in the fall of 2019.
- Masonry block walls are on-going as are underground utilities
- Structural steel erection is underway
- Turn lanes off 170th (Alice’s Rd.) for Plum Dr. and the main entrance will happen over the next several weekends – this is the only time the City of Urbandale will allow lane closures along this stretch of road
High School- Main Entry remodel
- Most of the office furniture has been installed with remaining pieces to arrive next week
- Fire rated glazing to arrive in November.
Waukee WILC Facility
Waukee Community School District’s Board of Education approved the renaming of its innovative professional learning program (Waukee CAPS) to Waukee Aspiring Professional Experience (APEX). Also naming the new facility the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center (WILC) and labeling the network of K-12, college and business opportunities as the Workforce Innovation Network (WIN) on June 8. Waukee APEX will be a part of the comprehensive educational experience provided for students at Waukee High School. Waukee APEX is not a second high school, trade school or vocational program. Waukee APEX will provide students with the opportunity to deeply explore professions of interest through a problem-based, inquiry learning method. For more information click here. The Waukee Board of Education approved the Waukee CAPS facility schematic design at the October 27, 2014 meeting. The work is slated for a June 2016 completion date.
- Negotiations between Neumann and Central Western Fabricators continue regarding the outstanding 573 claim.
- Re-seeding work is complete.
- System set-up and access for the City will be complete by the end of the week.
- Approve Easement Jerry’s Homes – Temporary Construction (no public hearing) to tie into underground utilities for new housing development located between Ops and Waukee Elementary.
- All documents have been reviewed by legal.
- Due to delay in legal review the two remaining easements related to this project will be acted on at the 10/23 and 11/13 meetings.
Second High School
The Waukee City Council approved purchase agreements on a total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee on May 16, 2016. The purchase agreements are integral in the efforts to build both a second high school within the Waukee Community School District as well as a City of Waukee-owned sports complex. Both the Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District’s Board approved a 28E agreement on May 9, 2016, meaning the two entities will be collaborating on this project.
Approximately 2/3 of the land will include the new high school building, parking, track, four ball fields, practice fields and a pond. The City’s 1/3 portion of the property will include 12 softball/baseball fields and parking. One of those fields is being held as a potential field to serve individuals with disabilities, should the need and support be identified in Waukee.
With an expected opening year of 2021, students who are currently in grades 4-6 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- First round of programming meetings are complete.
- Follow-up meetings will take place over the next 30 days.
- Next master planning with the City is scheduled for 10/11 – this should be the final meeting for this part of the process.
- Next steps are site design and coordination of work to begin next spring after successful bond referendum
- Project is mostly complete.
- Original board to be taken down starting next week.
- All work should be complete by the 10/13.
- Cindi and I will be meeting with Ahlers on 10/6 to prepare for mediation scheduled for Oct. 24th.