News from the Woods
PTO Meeting Tonight: Monday, April 2
The next PTO Meeting is Monday, April 2 at 6:30 pm in the Woodland Hills Library. Waukee CSD Superintendent, Mrs. Cindi McDonald, will be our featured speaker. This is a great opportunity to learn more about our growing school district!
2018 – 2019 Kindergarten Enrollment
Check the Waukee Community Schools website for more information!
Do you have a new phone number? Have you moved?
If you have had any changes in your phone numbers or email addresses, please call the Woodland Hills Office at 515-987-5196 or email email@example.com.
If you have moved and need to update your home address, please stop in the District Office with correct proof of residency.
R Taco Restaurant Fundraiser: Thursday, April 12
Mark your calendars for Thursday, April 12 from 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm to visit R Taco on University. They are donating 25% of all food and non-alcoholic beverage sales to Woodland Hills Elementary accompanied by the flyer.
Square 1 Art
It’s time to order your child’s masterpiece!
Three easy ways to order:
- Fill out the paper order form that came home with their stickers
- Online at www.square1art.com/shop
- Call customer service at 888-332-3294
Order Deadline: Tuesday, April 3
(No late orders will be accepted)
Thank you for supporting our school and your child’s creativity!
50° & Below Winter Coats
51° – 60° Coat or Sweatshirt
61° & Above Best Judgement
News from the PTO
WD Family Fun Day:
Mark your calendars for the Family Fun Day at Woodland Hills on Saturday, April 28 from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm — a free event open to all Woodland Hills Families. There will be bounce houses, carnival games, and fun! More information will be coming in early spring.
Waukee Community Closet:
Don’t forget to donate your unused coats, hats, gloves, snow pants and boots to the Waukee Community Closet. This organization provides Waukee residents in need with winter apparel. You may leave these items with Nurse Dena. Thank you for your contribution!
If you have questions, please email the PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please “like” us on Facebook for lots of great Woodland Hills information: Woodland Hills Elementary PTO – Waukee
News from the Nurse
Just a few reminders from the health office now that flu season has struck hard. All three strains of seasonal flu have been confirmed in Iowa this season. The primary strain circulating in Iowa is Influenza A (H3N2).
Common signs and symptoms of the flu are:
- Symptoms usually appearing quickly and may be severe
- Fever, almost always and usually high
- Aches and pains, muscle aches, chest discomfort may be severe (sickness felt over entire body)
- Moderate to severe fatigue and weakness
- Stuffy or runny nose may occur; sore throat, chills and headache common
- Non-productive cough common, can become severe
The infectious period of the flu is one day prior to onset of symptoms and 3-7 days following symptom onset. Please take this into consideration when deciding whether to send your student to school.
Exclusion Guidelines (per district policy):
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher (must be fever free for 24 hours before returning)
- Vomiting (no vomiting for 24 hours before returning)
- Diarrhea (no diarrhea for 24 hours before returning)
- Unexplained abdominal pain
- Severe cold and/or cough
- Unexplained skin eruptions or rash
- Swelling, redness, tenderness, discharge of eyes (requires a doctor’s diagnosis and treatment, if needed, or until symptoms are gone)
- Communicable disease (requires a doctor’s diagnosis and treatment, if needed, or until symptoms are gone)
- Any health condition that in the nurse’s judgement is of concern for the student’s or other’s health.
Please follow these guidelines to help keep our students and staff as healthy as possible. Please feel free to call with any questions or concerns. Thanks!
The health office is accepting donations of new or gently used underwear, boys or girls, sizes 3-8. We also have a need for girls or boys pants in sizes 3-8. Thanks!
Classroom Treats — Waukee Nutrition Department
Parents — Do you need a treat for your child’s classroom? The Waukee Nutrition Department can prepare cookies, cupcakes, fresh fruit, and more from our “Peanut/Tree Nut Aware” kitchens and deliver directly to the classroom! Waukee Nutrition Website — Order on RevTrak
Substitute Associates Needed!
Come join the Waukee Community School District as a substitute associate.
- Flexibility: You choose when and where you want to work
- Pay: $12.00 per hour
- Experience: Gain great classroom skills
Questions: contact Amelia Clark @ 515-987-5161 ext, 4529
Fine Arts Dates
1st Grade: April 5 @ Woodland Hills (6:00 pm Eikenberry/Gentile/Niggemeyer – 7:00 pm De Boer/Strack)
Kindergarten: May 3 @ Woodland Hills (TBA)
5th Grade: May 14 @ High School (6:00 pm)