Totem Tales 8/24
We have thoroughly enjoyed welcoming you all back for the 2018/19 school year at Waukee Elementary! We have had a great first two days of school. Our assistant principal, Mr. Wendt, and I are very excited about this school year and partnering with you in your child’s education. We have several new staff members and students joining us this year, as well as many returning staff and students.
We’re excited to welcome the following teachers to our W.E. staff: Ms. Sierra Smith, 3rd Grade and Mrs. Jessica Bergman, Learning Lab. As you see them in our building please join us in welcoming them to the Waukee Elementary team!
This school year is our fifth year implementing the 7 Habits with students, staff, and families and we are proud to be a Lighthouse Leader in Me school. The Leader in Me provides Waukee Elementary with the vision and language to lead the school in a way that addresses all areas of development.
Our staff is dedicated to providing a quality education and a caring environment, and we’re proud to have a team of such amazing teachers!
We’re looking forward to a wonderful year!
Nicole Johnson, Principal
Waukee Apparel Fundraiser
If you or anyone in your family needs Waukee Gear, click the link below! Orders are due by Monday, September 3rd. Apparel will be sent home with your child on Tuesday, September 18th. Stop by the office during Curriculum Night to check out samples!
Pick Up & Drop Off at W.E.
As we settle into our normal drop-of and pick up routines I wanted to send some important information and reminders about our Drop Off and Pick Up procedures which can also be found in the Elementary Handbook on pg. 30. I would ask that you please take time to read/review this information and follow these procedures in order to help ensure a safe environment for all WE students this school year!
When dropping off your child, you may do one of two things:
- Park and Walk: Park in a parking spot in the East Lot and walk your child across using the main crosswalk (with the crossing guard). Good-byes should be said on the sidewalk before students enter the school building. Parents/Visitors are not allowed to enter the building for drop off. Our district requires that all visitors enter through the main office and be scanned into the Raptor visitor’s system with a photo ID.
- Curbside Drop-Off: Parents may pull along the curb in the East Lot to drop off their child. Parents pulling along the curb must remain in their vehicles, and students get out of the vehicle on the curb-side and walk on the sidewalk to the building. All parents are directed and expected to pull forward as far as possible to drop off students toward the front of the line. This will keep traffic moving forward. Please DO NOT stop directly in front of the doors if there is room for you to pull forward. Staff on duty will assist and supervise your children in walking safely to the Kindergarten doors.
When picking up your child, you may do one of two things:
- Park and Walk: Park in a parking spot in the East Lot and walk across the main crosswalk (with the crossing guard) to pick up your child along the sidewalk closest to the building. Parents/Visitors should not routinely entering the building for pick up. Our district requires that all visitors to enter through the main office and be scanned into the Raptor visitor’s system with a photo ID
- Curbside Pick-Up: Parents may pull along the curb in the East Lot to pick up their child. Parents pulling along the curb must remain in their vehicles, and students will get into the vehicle on the curb-side with assistance from staff if necessary. All parents are directed and expected to pull forward as far as possible to pick up students toward the front of the line. This will keep traffic moving forward. Please DO NOT stop directly in front of the doors if there is room for you to pull forward. Staff on duty will assist and supervise your children in walking safely to your vehicle.
Thank you for reviewing, respecting, and following our procedures!
Watch for papers coming home soon on our Fun Run, which will be held on the afternoon of September 28th! If you didn’t sign up for your child’s free t-shirt in their classroom during Open House Night be sure to do so on Curriculum night (8/27)!
Spirit Night 8/29 at Rita’s!
Start the school year off with our first Spirit Night at Rita’s Italian Ice! Join us at Rita’s on Wednesday from 5:00pm-7:00pm. Mention you are with Waukee Elementary and they will donate a portion of your purchase back to our PTO! Rita’s is located at 9250 University Ave. West Des Moines (just down from Jethros)
Classroom Directories & Volunteer Opportunities –
Please visit http://bit.ly/WEPTO2018 to fill out a short information form to include your student in their classroom directory and read about volunteer opportunities with the PTO.
Meetings for the 2018-2019 school year will be as follows:
-September 10- October 8 – November 5 – January 7 – February 11 – April 8
*All meetings are held at 7 pm in the Waukee Elementary Media Center unless otherwise noted.
WHS Stadium Guidelines
To ensure safety and sportsmanship within our competition venues, the following guidelines have been created. We ask all Warrior fans and supporters of all ages, to abide by these guidelines. Go Warriors!
Waukee Community School District students are assigned to sit in assigned areas of the home side (west side) of Waukee Stadium:
Elementary students will not be sitting with middle/high school students, temporary bleachers will be in place for the first game. Newly constructed 10-row bleachers will hopefully be in place for the remaining games this season and years to come. Students can access this section using the walkway underneath the west (home) bleachers.
More information about the stadium guidelines is available on the website.
Curriculum Night – 8/27
Curriculum Night at Waukee Elementary is this coming Monday, August 27th. Please join us for this “parents-only” event in your child’s classroom. These 30-minute sessions will provide more specific information about your child’s classroom and learning this year. The schedule is as follows:
- 6:00-6:30 – Kindergarten & First Grade presentations in each classroom
- 6:30-7:00 – Related Arts presentation in the WE library
- 7:00-7:30 – Second & Third Grade presentations in each classroom
- 7:30-8:00 – Fourth & Fifth Grade presentations in each classroom
- **Also from 7:00-7:30 parents of identified ELP 4th & 5thgrade students may attend a session in the ELP Classroom.
- **Mr. Graziano (5th Grade Band Instructor) will be available in his office from 7:10-7:30pm for parent questions.
ALL Parents: If you have not previously had your photo ID entered in our Raptor visitor system we’d like to add you to our database of visitors. While you are in the building Monday evening please feel free to stop by the office with your Photo ID and get scanned into our Raptor visitor system. This can significantly expedite the process of signing in on days when many parents are visiting school at the same time.
We look forward to seeing you Monday evening!