Physical education is a required annual experience for all Waukee Community School District students meant to create healthy and active lifelong habits.
Physical Education Department Philosophy Statements
The Waukee Elementary Physical Education program aims to provide inclusive, safe, and supportive learning communities where ALL students can feel empowered to become courageous movers. We encourage all students to adopt a positive relationship with healthy activity; to celebrate physical, mental, and social well-being; and to develop habits that lead to long, healthy, happy lives.
The Waukee Secondary Physical Education program seeks to empower all students to participate in regular, lifelong physical activity to create a foundation for a healthy, productive, and fulfilling life.
Standards, Benchmarks, Objectives (SBO)
In 2019, the Iowa Department of Education adopted the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE) America standards as the standards for Iowa physical education programs. These standards stress the significance of creating physically literate individuals – individuals who understand and value the skills needed to participate in beneficial physical activities in pursuit of physical fitness. Our K-12 Physical Education department began reviewing these standards in 2019 but the review was put on pause due to various pandemic-related reasons; in the fall of 2021, the Waukee PE Department adopted the SHAPE outcomes. These were Board-approved in early 2022 and implemented for the 2022-23 school year.
Waukee K-12 Physical Education Standards, Benchmarks, & Objectives
- Kindergarten PE
- 1st Grade PE
- 2nd Grade PE
- 3rd Grade PE
- 4th Grade PE
- 5th Grade PE
Middle Level (Grades 6-9) Courses
- 6th Grade PE
- 7th Grade PE
- 8th & 9th Grade PE
- 8th-12th Grade Introduction to Strength Training*
- Note: This may be taken as an alternative to 8th & 9th Grade PE
- 8th & 9th Grade Intro to Strength Training Course Overview (in progress)
- 8th & 9th Grade Intro to Strength Training Progress Report Statements
- 8th & 9th Grade Intro to Strength Training Proficiency Scales
High School (Grades 10-12) Courses
- 8th-12th Grade Introduction to Strength Training Course Overview (in progress)
- HS Advanced Strength Training Course Overview
- HS Individual Sports Course Overview
- HS Team Sports Course Overview
- HS Lifeguarding Course Overview
- HS Warrior/Wolf Fit Course Overview
- HS Peer Assistance Learning (PAL PE) Course Overview
- HS Virtual PE Course Overview (in progress)