The Introduction to Education program offers classes with dual college credit for students interested in pursuing a career in Education. For information on current course offerings, see below. To find out about enrollment, contact your school counselor. Grade level and application requirements differ based on the course.
Course Offerings & Credits
Students take this class and receive Dual Credit from DMACC for 5 credits in addition to the credit awarded from Waukee Community School District.
Introduction to Education Class: DMACC EDU 210 Foundations of Education
- 1 Term
- Prerequisites: Application is made during registration
- This class presents a broad view of the field of education including foundations of American education, roles of teachers, history and philosophy, and curriculum. As part of this class, students will complete a 35-hour clinical observation at another Waukee school. Students will provide their own transportation. Strong reading and writing skills are needed for this class.
Intro to Ed Internship: DMACC EDU 218 Initial Field Experience
- 1 Term
- Prerequisites: Students must successfully complete the Introduction to Education (Foundations of Education) class.
- The internship provides opportunities for students to assist in a school as a teacher aide to assess one’s potential and interest in teaching as a career. As part of this class, students will complete an 80-hour clinical classroom observation and attend seminars with the instructor.
Students must apply during registration and complete all paperwork by the determined deadline.
Acceptance into Program
Acceptance into the Introduction to Education program is conditional upon:
- Recommendations from three WHS teachers.
- A record of excellent attendance during the previous school year.
- Available space in the student’s senior schedule.
Interns must provide their own transportation and will need to wear workplace appropriate attire. Interns must also pass a background check.
Mrs. Amanda Gaul, Introduction to Education Instructor