The Introduction to Education program offers classes with dual college credit for students interested in pursuing a career in Education. For information on current course offerings, see below. To find out about enrollment, contact your school counselor. Grade level and application requirements differ based on the course.
- 1 Term
- Prerequisites: Application is made during registration
- This class presents a broad view of the field of education including foundations of American education, roles of teachers, history and philosophy, and curriculum. As part of this class, students will complete a 35-hour clinical observation at another Waukee school. Students will provide their own transportation. Strong reading and writing skills are needed for this class.
- 1 Term
- Prerequisites: Students must successfully complete the Introduction to Education (Foundations of Education) class.
- The internship provides opportunities for students to assist in a school as a teacher aide to assess one’s potential and interest in teaching as a career. As part of this class, students will complete an 80-hour clinical classroom observation and attend seminars with the instructor.
- Recommendations from three WHS teachers.
- A record of excellent attendance during the previous school year.
- Available space in the student’s senior schedule.